Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1

Can someone please explain to me (in laymans terms) what focus bracketing is exactly and how to use it?

I purchased the Canon S2 IS on the weekend and have been reading through the manual but can't seem to make much sence of this. I am new to this type of camera (I owned a simple point and shoot) and am realising that I have a lot to learn.

Thank God for formums like this one where people help each other. I've been reading through a lot of posts here and have learned quite a lot......but have much more to learn.

I love to take photos and really want to learn all this camera has to offer. So be expecting a few more questions in the future from me, because from what I've been reading the advice that everyone gives is really helpful.

Thanks
melhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2

melhen wrote:
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me (in laymans terms) what focus bracketing is exactly and how to use it?

Thanks

Melhen,

Here goes.

You have purchased a camera that will do many, many wonderful things for you, and when you learn them all, you will be amazed at what advanced camera's can and will do.

Focus bracketing (mode) is nothing more than the camera will take 3 pictures, with different focus settings. According to the manual, the first exposure (picture) will be taken using a manual focus position, while the next two exposures will be taken with a nearer focus and the last exposure taken using a father focus.

What this does is allow you the luxury of determining after the photos have been taken, which focus location serves YOU best.

Now, in laymen's terms. Look at it this way. You take three pictures separately. On the first one you manually focus where ever you want to lock focus on, the next two photos, one of them you lock focus on a DISTANT subject and the last photo you lock focus on a NEARER subject, like a person. You wil get three different focusing shots, and then you get to pick which one you like the best. Whereas a point and shoot camera only focus on a LOCKED location because the camera usually has a single set aperature lens.

Advanced camera allow you to bracket (takes a series of shots) with different settings, thus allowing you to choose the best photo of the three. This is called bracketing. Advanced DSLR cameras also allow exposure bracketing, flash bracketing, and focus bracketing. I think the S2 allows both exposure and focus bracketing if I am not mistaken.

Hope this helps, but as you already stated. If you have any other questions, ask away. We will always be willing to help.

Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:40 AM   #3

Thank you very much for explaining that in very simple terms. I understand now

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now I can start experimenting with it, that's always the fun thing to do and the best way to learn. I've been yearning to take the camera oudoors but the weather has been pretty bad (constant rain) so I'm still waiting to get out there and start shooting.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mel
melhen is offline   Reply With Quote