Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:21 PM   #1

Default I'm not a newbie but I need newbie help!

Can someone please point me to a good digicam that a FAST focusing ability ? Mostly used for candids of grand-kids. My latest (Canon G3) drives me nuts. Previous G2 was NEVER a problem. Focusing is just so slow. Actually sent it back to Canon (who said it was perfectly fine). Would PREFER a compact flash based camera but it can be anything. Looking in the ~$900 (street) range. max.

A friend has BOTH the OLY 4050 and a Nikon 5700. He says the 4050 is FAST (focusing) and the Nikon is very very slow.

Since the G3 is much slower then the G2 I'd be afraid to ASSume the 5050 is as FAST AS the 4050 (I'd prefer the 5mp model).

Anyone have any good hands-on information ?

Thanks
EdFeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 9:05 AM   #2

Is the Olympus the 5050 or the 4040?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 9:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Is the Olympus the 5050 or the 4040?
I don't quite understand your reponse. I have a G3 at the moment (just put it up on eBay).

Ed
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:26 AM   #4

Why not accept all prosumer cams take time to focus, expose and white balance and either use half press shutter technique or go manual? To make the point, my Fuji might take a second or 2 to focus, expose and balance the first shot, but in movie mode it can then go at 30 shots a second - which is faster than you can press the button! DSLR's are fast!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:20 PM   #5

I can't accept it because my G2 never had this problem, my Olympus 3040 before it never had the problem and 3 other cameras before that never had the problem. What good is a camera (other then for still life or portraits) if you can't take a what is even CLOSE to a candid photo. I try to take a picture of my grandson and by the time it shoots he's left the room and gone for a nap! :lol:

Some camera are much faster responding then others. I want to find the one that is fastest (without spending $1300).

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Why not accept all prosumer cams take time to focus, expose and white balance and either use half press shutter technique or go manual? To make the point, my Fuji might take a second or 2 to focus, expose and balance the first shot, but in movie mode it can then go at 30 shots a second - which is faster than you can press the button! DSLR's are fast!