Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Any editing you can do in the camera like cropping and rotating the image can also be done in a good image editor without degrading the image. I'm not sure whether the camera will do those loseless or not.
If you take a picture and it's saved to the camera's memory as a JPEG, and then you have the camera rotate or resize it and save it as a JPEG again, then you lose some quality, because of the compression that happened in the save. If the image is in a different format that's not so lossy (like RAW or TIFF), then you lose little or no quality by editing in-camera. Right?

Still, why edit in-camera? Just wait till you get home and can do it on the computer.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:07 AM   #12

airshowfan wrote:
Quote:
Any editing you can do in the camera like cropping and rotating the image can also be done in a good image editor without degrading the image. I'm not sure whether the camera will do those loseless or not.
Quote:

If you take a picture and it's saved to the camera's memory as a JPEG, and then you have the camera rotate or resize it and save it as a JPEG again, then you lose some quality, because of the compression that happened in the save. If the image is in a different format that's not so lossy (like RAW or TIFF), then you lose little or no quality by editing in-camera. Right?

Still, why edit in-camera? Just wait till you get home and can do it on the computer.
Quote:
***My manual for my FZ-5 states this about TIFF: "The following functions cannot be used for pictures recorded in TIFF: resize and trimming also auto bracket and burst mode"
Quote:
So, if i chose to record pictures in TIFF, i get better quality when done editing - but i am somewhat limited in the editing and functions of my camera??? I dont get it. Should i take my family pics in TIFF so i can edit without quality loss or should i take the family pics in JPEG so that i gain what??? Help me out with JPEG vs. TIFF please and thank you!
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:22 AM   #13

oops double post.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:22 AM   #14

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
So, if i chose to record pictures in TIFF, i get better quality when done editing - but i am somewhat limited in the editing and functions of my camera??? I dont get it. Should i take my family pics in TIFF so i can edit without quality loss or should i take the family pics in JPEG so that i gain what??? Help me out with JPEG vs. TIFF please and thank you!
From what others have written it would seem there is no great benefit to using TIF files on this camera, the SHQ JPG files will be as good for all practical purposes. When editing on your PC either copy and rename the JPG file or after opening save it under a different name. When editing I would save the file as a TIF file between editing sessionsbut any of the lossless formats are OK. When you've finished editing either save the file as the highest quality JPG or stick with a lossless format, your choice and it depends on available storage space. You only lose quality when you open a file do some editing save it as JPG open it again edit some more and so on.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote