Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:44 PM   #11

Adobe is an over reted, over complicated editor. When it comes to plain jane editing there are others that can beat it. I have both elements, and photo shop, but never use either. Of course if you are into photo butchery, it can't be beat. :-)
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:12 PM   #12

Steve40 wrote:
Quote:
Adobe is an over reted, over complicated editor. When it comes to plain jane editing there are others that can beat it.
Quote:
********Such as? Thanks!
Quote:
I have both elements, and photo shop, but never use either. Of course if you are into photo butchery, it can't be beat. :-)
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:19 PM   #13

Photobrush! also will use all of Photo Shops plugins. Does not cost a grand, $68. And you can try it out 30 days free.

www.mediachance.com
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:29 PM   #14

I use PS 7 , but have been doing it for 5 years+ , so it does take some practice.

As for where to get prints - dont know if they have London Drugs stores whereyou are, strangely they are THE best, , did a 5*7 there and a pro printing shop and they killed the pros. Weird.
romacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:38 PM   #15

I just noticed Photobrush is now $45. No kidding it is much simpler to use. No big learning curve, and it can do darn near anything PS can do (easier). And it will take bunches of filters + all PS ones. I think I have around 75 now.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:04 PM   #16

Well while I am at it, for the totally freebie folks. Here is the best free editor I have ever seen. Be sure you get all the plugins you want while you are there, it only uses it's own.

http://www.photofiltre.com/
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:42 AM   #17

Thanks Steve and all.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
As for where to get prints - dont know if they have London Drugs stores whereyou are, strangely they are THE best, , did a 5*7 there and a pro printing shop and they killed the pros. Weird.
I use PS7 (inexpensive on eBay). I sent some pictures to London Drugs, after carefully adjusting the color balance and levels. Isoftened some areas and sharpened others. When I got the pictures back, they were oversaturated, oversharpened, and had a heavy green color cast. I calibrate my monitor regularely, and haven't had these issues at other places. I suspect that their $11/hr lab expertdecided to add a touch ofmagic.

Now I always tell the lab not to perform any corrections.

Ken
Ken Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:55 PM   #19

I use Photoshop for major changes to photos, but for simple adjustments like exposure, contrast, cropping, straightening, etc... I use Picasa. http://picasa.google.com/index.html
It's simple, fast, and FREE. Also, when you make changes to images, you don't have to resave them because the changes are contained within Picasa itself. That means you save hard drive space, don't lose quality recompressing JPGs, and you can undo your changes at any time.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:47 PM   #20

I shoot RAW format and use RAWSHOOTER to edit my photos.

If I'm doing something really heavy duty like layers or dodging/burning, I use elements.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote