Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:34 AM   #21

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I use Photoshop for major changes to photos, but for simple adjustments like exposure, contrast, cropping, straightening, etc... I use Picasa. http://picasa.google.com/index.html
It's simple, fast, and FREE. Also, when you make changes to images, you don't have to resave them because the changes are contained within Picasa itself. That means you save hard drive space, don't lose quality recompressing JPGs, and you can undo your changes at any time.

i tried it - it is neat! However, i am having problems with its redeye remover. It greys rather than blackens the pupil out. Do it do this when you use it? Maybe its my monitor settings (High color 16 bit - 1024X768 pixels)or my old PC (233 pent processor)- Windows 98 SE). Adobe Elements seems to do a better job on taking care of redeye. Your thoughts please. Thanks.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:58 PM   #22

Believe it or not I probably have about a dozen photo editing programs. With every new computer, printer, scanner and camera they always include a photo software program. I have one that is 14 yrs old called iPhoto Plus Version 4.0 1992 by Ulead Systems. I like several of its features which are simple to use. I guess that I am from the old school " never throw anything away for you will regret it tomorrow.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:47 PM   #23

Dwelsh7, I don't take a lot of pictures of people, and I rarely use the flash so I don't have any photos with redeye and haven't had to use that tool.

I tried downloading a few sample images of redeye to test it on, and it looks like the results can vary. It doesn't surprise me that the commercial photo editing software does a better job though.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:54 PM   #24

I have been using Photopaint for years, but just switched to Elements 2, and just recently purchased elements 4 (today, haven't got it yet however). I found Photoshop's interface a tad to cumbersum, but elements was not all that difficult to learn. Here is an original taken by my 13 year old.

Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:55 PM   #25

After playing with Elements 2 for about an hour or so I modified that photo to look like this:

Attached Images

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote