Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:54 AM   #1

Kodak Easyshare

Microsoft's - on the free walmart cd

HP's - also on the above noted cd

The ones my pany z-5 came with

adobe 2.0

I'm new. I have all the above. Which one do you like and why? Do they all pretty much do the same things? Therefore, just pick one and get familiar with it and don't worry about the rest?

Also, i have an old, under-powered PC. Plenty of RAM but only a 233 MHZ pent 2

I will be putting pics on CD and taking to walmart for processing. Any tips/experiences with walmart processing?

Thanks a bunch.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 1:07 PM   #2

By Adobe 2.0 I assume you mean PhotoShop. If so this is by far the best in the list. It has the most features and a lot of web tutorials are based around Photoshop. Some may not work because they use features you don't have but most will and it's a good way of learning what you can do.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 1:09 PM   #3
E.T

While program (propably Adobe Elements) which came with your camera isn't newest version it's propably most versatile of those.
Looks like it has these requirements.
http://www.hiddenelements.com/pe2system.html

I wouldn't really trust to proprietary "easy to use" programs in bigger editing.
And put any new program to that PC and you'll just downgrade already slow speed to still slower.

Then there's some free programs like GIMP.
http://www.gimp.org/

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
Also, i have an old, under-powered PC.* Plenty of RAM but only a 233 MHZ pent 2
But what you mean with that plenty? 512MB or less?
(plenty is 1GB and more)
But in every case you might want to have coffee maker close to you.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:00 PM   #4

E.T wrote:
Quote:
While program (propably Adobe Elements) which came with your camera isn't newest version it's propably most versatile of those.
Looks like it has these requirements.
dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
Also, i have an old, under-powered PC. Plenty of RAM but only a 233 MHZ pent 2
Quote:
But what you mean with that plenty? 512MB or less?
Quote:
288mb
Quote:
(plenty is 1GB and more)
But in every case you might want to have coffee maker close to you.
Quote:
Ha. Thanks. Is it true that if i edit a jpeg via software that the image will not be as good as quality as if it came straight out of the camera?
Quote:
Thanks again.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:44 PM   #5

Personally, I would bag all four of those programs, and purchase Photoshop Elements 4.0.

You can probably find it for around $50.00 on sale I would bet. It is the best beginners program in my opinion.

Good Luck.
Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:56 PM   #6

Of the choices you list I would use the Adobe if that is Elements 2.0. It is a competent editor. There are a lot of Elements tutorials online to help you get started. If you start running into limitations later on you will have a much better basis for choosing an advanced program.

You do not lose quality opening the image in any editor. You only lose quality if you save again as a JPG after editing. You lose no quality if you save in an uncompressed file like TIFF, PNG or PSD.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:08 AM   #7

Quote:
***My manual for my FZ-5 states this about TIFF: "The following functions cannot be used for pictures recorded in TIFF: resize and trimming also auto bracket and burst mode"
Quote:
So, if i chose to record pictures in TIFF, i get better quality when done editing - but i am somewhat limited in the editing and functions of my camera??? I dont get it. Should i take my family pics in TIFF so i can edit without quality loss or should i take the family pics in JPEG so that i gain what??? Help me out with JPEG vs. TIFF please and thank you!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:17 PM   #8

The FZ5 has a decent quality JPG in fine. TIFF doesn't have the advantages of raw and I doubt you would see much difference. I don't think TIFF is a very practical shooting mode. Besides losing the great burst and bracket capability, cycle times go up to where you are missing shots in dynamic situations. You take 14.4Mb of space on the card compared to 2.5Mb in fine.

You don't lose any quality opening a JPG in a viewer or editor. Opening the image in JPG doesn't restrict you from saving after editing in a loseless format like TIFF, PNG or PSD. I would probably use nothing but fine mode with a FZ5.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 5:29 PM   #9

I'm a relative newbie to digital photography and use Photoshop Elements 3.0 and really like it. I had a pretty steep learning curve with it until I got the book "The Missing Manual" by Barbara Brundage, which explained a lot of things I didn't know in very easy to understand terms.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:44 PM   #10

Awesome all! Thanks for the book tip. I love books!