Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:31 PM   #1

Default Should I wait until I get to Australia?

I will be studying abroad in Australia for six months this year, and I want to get a digital camera for the trip. Would there be better deals if I bought in Aus after I got there? What kinda stuff should I look out for if I do that?

Thanks for the advice!
Falfurrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:51 PM   #2

Unless there is a substaintial price difference, I think you would do better getting it here so you have more time to learn how to use it. Not real critical since you will have six months, but one less thing to spend your time figuring out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:23 PM   #3

You're kidding me surely. Australia is the worst place in the world to buy electronics, they are hidiously expensive.

It makes me so mad it's incredible.

As an example, my fuji is $780 in Canada and $950 in Australia ... and the exchanges are worth the same.

Avoid buying ANYTHING in this country if you can afford it. Don't get me wrong, you'll love it here and the lifestryle is too good to beleive but electronics are absurd.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 8:17 AM   #4

Buy your camera before you leave. Practice with it before you get to Oz or you will miss out on pic opportunties. It is also considerable cheaper in the US
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 4:36 PM   #5

Thanks everyone!

I do think its better to get it here where I'm familiar with stores, brands, etc. and so I can get some experience w/ my first digital camera before I go.
Falfurrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 3:52 AM   #6

Default comment

and please take some photos of that famous "shrimp on the barbie" to share with us.

Good Luck

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 9:35 PM   #7

My only concern about buying the camera here as opposed to Australia is the obvious one: reverse gravitational pull.
Cameras made for the northern hemisphere are built with a positive gravitational bias which allows the camera to counteract the forces of gravity.
Cameras made for the southern hemisphere have a negative bias. Therefore, as anyone who has taken their northern digital camera to the southern half of the earth knows, your pictures will all be UPSIDE DOWN!
Fortunately, you can fix this problem with any good software that has a south-to-north rotation plug-in.
Alternately, you can print the picutres and turn the paper upside down and hope that no one notices.
Have a nice, safe time!
deebeeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 8:31 PM   #8

rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote