Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:14 PM   #1

Hi there, I just bought the Fuji Finepix s5200/5600 and was wondering , when I look at the dpi of ALL of them it says, 72dpi - is this normal? Just wondering how this would turn out for print, even at highest rez. setting? 'Course, I can use Photoshop to fix, but would hate to spend , like, 3 hours doing resizing, LOL;

Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks for any info, oh here is the best I've done yet, (Natural light setting)

Attached Images

romacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:36 PM   #2

Some cameras open up in an editor by default at 72ppi no matter what resolution you take the shot at. My uncle has a Fuji that does the same thing.
You don't really have to bother with resizing until you want to print a certain picture. Then you have to play with the document size and resolution settings just like you would with any other file you wanted to print. But don't worry that 72ppi is all you've got to work with. You still have all the resolution that you set your camera to record when you took the shot, the file just opens at that resolution.

Shouldn't take any 3 hours to resize for printing. Even if you want to print everything you can record a resizing action in Photoshop and automate it.

I have Nikons, and they both open up at 300pi.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:06 PM   #3

Thanks Grant; yes I guess I could do the automate in PS,.

I was hoping there might be a better program out there that would take the pics off the card at a higher dpi to start with - any ideas? If not no worries, I'm really just starting out and trying to figure out all the crazy settings too( white balance, ISO, A , P , etc.)

Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:26 PM   #4

Where are you seeing DPI, mine show up in KB (fuji). Anyway that's your monitor resolution, it is not the DPI of your photos.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:51 PM   #5

right click your Properties ' , advanced =

like so...
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:04 PM   #6

Ok, my put-put puter does not do that. I have Noah's origional Ark machine, has win ME. Shows only KB. Anyway that is onlyyour monitor res.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:07 PM   #7

Blame your camera manufacturer. 72DPI is a standard from TV (I believe) and really shouldn't be used as the default DPI in a camera. People don't put images on TV much (at least people that I know don't do it often.)

You can easily automate it in PS and then if you wanted to you could batch it across every image an a directory. Very easy. Annoying that you've gotta do it, but it won't effect the quality of your image at all.

With PS CS 2 (actually, in bridge) I think you can do it even easier than with an action. You can just select everything, bring up the meta-data display and then change the DPI setting. It should be in there.

Eric

ps. I think (I could be wrong) that PS lets you set the DPI by default when you open a file. But I could be remembering wrong. Poke around in the setting/defaults/options/"whatever they call them" for PS and see if you can do it.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote