Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Sample pictures - Canon S400

Well, some might remember my previous post where I was considering the Dimage Xi and S230 (Ixus V3). These are now no longer of interest as I am seriously tempted by the new S400!

Is there any website where I might find sample pictures from the S400 (not of it, from it)? I know it's a bit early as it gets released friday in the UK (I think) but I would like to get some printed from my local shop before buying... I know some may disagree about the need to print some but for me paper print quality is paramount over on-screen quality.... Going on holiday soon hence the rush!!

Thanks

jp
jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2003, 3:43 PM   #2

Sure there are...

the canon site is the place..

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSS400/index-e.html
daxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 7:03 PM   #3

Jaypers, I hate you.

I was all set on the s230/Ixus V3. But then you had to go and bring up this post about the s400... and those sample pictures they have on their site (courtesy of daxo) are fricking beautiful. Argh. Now I have to re-evaluate everything all over.
Ekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:22 AM   #4

Daxo - Thanks for the link, I should have guessed the Japanese Canon website would have it!

Ekin - I'm happy to see I've spoiled your day, it's nice to know I'm not 'suffering' alone! I also hope your decisions on picture quality weren't biased by the attractive blonde lady picture!! I started looking for a camera on a budget of 250 and it's been creeping up fast ever since. Canon are now forcing me to part with c400, they are evil! :lol: Guess I better make a decision before they do something stupid such as announcing the S500 or something!

Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, I noticed the file size was maybe a bit small for a 4MP camera - 1.6-1.8Mb? I had done a look into this on a previous post with the following findings:

"Pentax 430RS - 2.8Mb Excellent quality
Casio QVR4 - 1.8Mb Good quality, tint a bit off
Kodak LS433 - 1.2Mb Obvious pixellisation on sky, blurred - bad quality
Minolta F100 - 1.5Mb Good quality but minimal 'video' look on sky
Olympus C50 - 5MP I know - 2.2Mb Good quality but again sky a bit pixelled and video like look. "

The S400 sample pictures were done in Superfine quality so I hope canon haven't overcompressed the images... They look great on screen but I guess the proof is in the 8X6 printing...

I wish I wasn't so difficult to please, it would make life much easier!

If anyone finds any other links to more S400 pictures, they would be greatly appreciated! I'll let you know the results of my printing exercise...

jp
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:11 PM   #5

More ?
Ok..
Here are a couple more S400 shots.

Look for the IXY 400 photos

http://myalbum.ne.jp/cgi-bin/a_menu?id=fd991545

Old Mar 7, 2003, 4:38 AM   #6

Daxo you really are an incredible source of knowledge - thanks!

I'm not even going to ask how someone from Mexico found that Japanese site!
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:07 PM   #7

I'm glad you found the links I provided helpful.

Today we live in a small world and the internet has become a great source of information for everyone who is willing to use it and as time goes by you just learn how to find what you really want faster.
Plus I spent 4 years in Japan... :roll: