Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:51 PM   #11

Sorry, I've been away for a while. Oh the joys of working massive amounts of OT. :roll:

Thanks for all the help and insight. I've ruled out the Oly 4040 & 5050 and Fujifilm s602. While I haven't looked at Steve's (or anyone else's for that matter) review or notes on the upcoming Oly C750, my choice in digicam is down to the Canon G3 and a new, hefty contender, the Nikon Coolpix 5700. The 8x optical just kind of spoils ya.

My boss has the 5700 and just came back from Hawaii. I looked at all his pictures and they are quite nice. He mainly used the auto settings. Out of 100 pix, 1 came out blurry but he took the picture on the run so that's understandable. 3 were a bit noisy but he took them on the lower deck of one of the fish watching boats (the lower deck is below the water surface and has windows so you can see the fish). You can make stuff out there's just ambient noise.

I am actually leaning towards the Nikon 5700 but will check out the Oly 750. I'll also check out the camera specific posts in this forum. Off hand though, does anyone know if this camera will handle action shots well? My boss' whale watching pix didn't provide much evidence. I will probably be taking pix of martial arts events like muay Thai (kickboxing) and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Speed will count for both but the nice optical zoom will be necessary for the Jiu-Jitsu.

I probably will hold off on purchasing until the summer so I time to decide. Has there been news of any successors to the 5700 for this year? I haven't seen anything on this. The resulting price drop would be nice. :lol:

Again, thanks for the help!
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 3:42 PM   #12
SSD

I love the 10x zoom on the Oly 730, How is the performance in low light situations?
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
I love the 10x zoom on the Oly 730, How is the performance in low light situations?
Thanks!
As good as most, struggles to focus in low light but then there's manual. F2.8 is pretty typical.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote