Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 8, 2003, 4:28 PM   #1

Default Digicam Suggestions please (abused topic, I know)

I originally posted this under a different topic here somehow not even seeing the newbie help section. Sorry!

Hey everyone. I'm sure this has probably been a topic that has been abused by many in the past, but I don't really have the time to search all of the past forum posts. Sorry.

I'm looking for digital camera suggestions.

* I'm looking for 4 or 5 MP camera with at least a 4x optical zoom. I could go down to 3 MP if I had to as a last resort.
* I would probably e-mail pix more often than print but being able to print good quality pix is desirable (at 8x10 or the next highest size).
* I tend to take pix of martial art competitions, cars, scenery, outings or parties with friends, and sometimes drum set configs.
* A movable LCD is preferred.
* I'm undecided on lens add-ons such as those using lens converters.
* prefer CF memory types
* sub-$1k would be nice but going a hair over is doable

I've looked into the Canon PowerShot G3 & G2, Olympus C4040, Olympus C5050, Olympus Camedia C-50, and Fujifilm Fine Pix S602. I prefer the less rectangular shape (in contrast to Canon's
G-series) of the Olympus (barring the C-50) and Fujifilm models but overall, based on my info gathering, the G3 seems to be better a overall camera (e.g. not bad in terms of noise in low-light, excellent pic quality, etc...). I'm leaning towards the G3 but was curious if anyone had any recommendations. Again, sorry for beating a dead horse with this topic.

Also, this would be my first digital camera but interms of ease of use, I'm NOT worried. I pick up on tech features pretty quickly although a decent manual might not be too bad since I'm still a rookie photographer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2003, 7:44 PM   #2
jww

I am in a similar boat - and have vasilated between the Oly c730 over to the Fuji 602, then to the G-3 and Oly 5050. Overall, the 5050 appears to have a bit more flexibility than the G-3, although the G-3 wins out in a couple of key areas - namely 4X optical zoom and the nifty flexi-swingout lcd.

I think the key is to look at the system behind the camera. Both have lots of available accessories. In the end, I think you will want to play with both in side-by-side tests. Whichever feels best in your hands at first, will probably end up being the product you choose. Don't underestimate ergonimics. ...jww
jww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:36 AM   #3

Don't worry about 3 or 4 mp. 3mp will do 10x8 with no problem.

This opens up your choice to Oly 730 and Fuji 602.

Oly are soon to release a 4mp version of the 730 if you don't mind waiting.

My preference would've been the 602 (I couldn't quite afford the 602) but I love the 10x zoom and use it a lot. I'm now glad I got the Oly.

The last 8 pics in this series are from the 730.

http://community.webshots.com/album/48080613EyUWdV

If you really require to blow up an image to huge proportions you could always use Genuine Fractals and up-sample. GFs does a very good job. It's a plug-in for Photoshop
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 1:17 PM   #4

Default Re: Digicam Suggestions please (abused topic, I know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo13
I don't really have the time to search all of the past forum posts.
I could reply with something snippy like "I don't really have the patience to help those who'd rather let others do their own work", but I won't... :lol:

May I respectfully suggest that as buying a digital camera and all the assorted accessories (higher-capacity memory cards, (spare) rechargeable batteries, card reader, bag, etc.) is expensive enough already, it might very well be worth your while to dig through the archives here and see what the owners of different digicams say about them. What features they especially like, what are the shortcomings, etc. It's not just the matter of dollars, but you do want to be happy with what you purchase, don't you...?

This is a very active forum, and you can easily tell what postings might be pertinent to you by just browsing subject headers for the past few weeks.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 4:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, guys. Is the Oly 730 a 3.2 mp? I was talking to my friend Matt about digicams and that's one he suggested (if I remember correctly). His girlfriend has it and he loves it. The 10x optical zoom is quite a nice feature. I'll be sure to check out those pix you gave a link to, Steve. Thanks.

In terms of ergonomics, jww, I've checked out both the G3, Oly 5050, and Fuji s602. Luckily they had all three at Best Buy so I could easily jump back and forth between all three. As I mentioned earlier, I like the shape type of the Oly and Fuji over G3. Grip-wise, that type shape of the camera feels better to me when compared to the G3's rectangular shape but the G3 isn't too bad. The controls on the G3 are, I think well placed, too. I finally got to see how bad the barrel viewing is when the G3 is zoomed all the way out. It's a bit visible on the lower left corner of the viewfinder but wasn't as bad as I though it'd be. The LCD flexibility of the G3 is also quite nice especially since it can be flipped 180 to protect the screen.

I hear ya, Hyun! I have taken a dip in the past of the 'General Q & A' section. I didn't find a whole lot that helped me, but, granted, I didn't search the whole thing. This was also when I didn't notice the 'Newbies' section of the forum. There is bound to be something in here that will help me decide. It seems that some others have the same photo-interests I do. And this is indeed an very active forum. That's why I joined! People know what they're talking about and seem generally helpful. :P Again, thanks for help guys!
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Is the Oly 730 a 3.2 mp?
It certanly is.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:02 PM   #7

I'm sold on the Oly-730 - I get great pics, am selling art prints to collectors. The 5 mp C-750 will be out in May according to Steve's PAM News. Minoltoa Dimage 7Hi getting good reviews, more expensive. I tried one in the store, I liked it. Is 5 mp. Hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:21 PM   #8

I'm one of those "more zoom is better" guys. Proper use of your camera framing the picture makes up for few pixel capability of any camera. One consideration when zooming up tight is holding the camera steady... a tripod helps. I love my Canon Pro90's built-in stabilizer helps a lot in lower light situations. It's worth a couple of f stops. My brother-in-law has one of the smaller Olys with a 10X zoom and I covet its smaller size, but wouldn't trade with him. As with everything else, we have to live with compromises.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:22 PM   #9

I'm one of those "more zoom is better" guys. Proper use of your camera framing the picture makes up for few pixel capability of any camera. One consideration when zooming up tight is holding the camera steady... a tripod helps. I love my Canon Pro90's built-in stabilizer helps a lot in lower light situations. It's worth a couple of f stops. My brother-in-law has one of the smaller Olys with a 10X zoom and I covet its smaller size, but wouldn't trade with him. As with everything else, we have to live with compromises.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:44 AM   #10

We heard you the first time :lol: