Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:33 PM   #1

Newbie...why does my Sony DSC-H1 overexpose P&S auto indoor shots?...camera calls for flash (when it shouldn't) and flash always too bright (and, can't turn it down in P&S mode). Shots of people within about 6 ft are washed out.

Pic's areok in Manual (or, Shutter priority) modenow, and, often have flash turned down or off...if I want flash indoors in P&S auto mode, must stand 20 ft away...

Maybe this is such acommon problem that folks go to their workarounds and get on with life. Most reviews of this camera are outstanding - in spite of this characteristic. Any thoughts or workarounds would be appreciated...

Posted in the Sony forum earlier but got to thinking that this is probably a newbie problem...
farleycw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:49 PM   #2

Program mode is also a completely automatic mode with extra capabilities like program shift and more information in the viewfinder. Flash intensity works in program mode.

I have no idea why full auto is burning out your flash photos. It seems some of the reviewers would have noticed that.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3

It almost sounds like something may be wrong with your camera - the flash should work just fine in Auto mode without over-exposing.

Try experimenting withnegative exposure compensation, a bit at a time in a sequence of shots. Checking the histogram after each shotshould tell you if you're still blowing out the highlights.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:15 AM   #4

Thanks toshi43...

I agree, the flash should not over expose in auto mode.

Using other shooting modes yields good pic's because I can adjust the camera settings. The problem is with the brainless Point & Shoot totally automatic mode on indoor shots with people...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:20 AM   #5

To all eyes watching this post and thread who have a Sony DSC-H1 camera...

Would you please take a picture indoors under marginal lighting conditions in Point & Shoot (totally automatic) mode with at least one person sitting at a table about six feet away. Then, tell me if the flash came on and how it looks on the LCD screen, the computer, or printed out. Or, maybe you know what happened from experience.

Folks replying to this and a similar thread on the Sony forum have not come right out and explicitly said that they'rehappy with the Point & Shoot auto mode under indoor conditions with people.

This little surveycould help me a lot. Only need afew folks to help out.You could even email me the (untouched, less than3 MB) file at[email protected]

Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:15 PM   #6

farleycw wrote:
Quote:

Would you please take a picture indoors under marginal lighting conditions in Point & Shoot (totally automatic) mode with at least one person sitting at a table about six feet away. Then, tell me if the flash came on and how it looks on the LCD screen, the computer, or printed out. Or, maybe you know what happened from experience.

Folks replying to this and a similar thread on the Sony forum have not come right out and explicitly said that they'rehappy with the Point & Shoot auto mode under indoor conditions with people.

This little surveycould help me a lot. Only need afew folks to help out.You could even email me the (untouched, less than3 MB) file at[email protected]

I don't have a Sony H1 - my camera's a Fuji S5200 - but their behavior in Auto mode should be very similar, if not the same. The flash on my camera 'throttles down' when needed to avoid over-exposure, yours should do the same thing.

As an example, this is a shot of my grandson sitting at the kitchen table playing a game. This was taken in Auto mode, flash on, from 5 or 6 feet away.
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:22 PM   #7

farleycw wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, folks - I seem to have goofed here. Anyone know how to delete 'accidental' posts?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:17 PM   #8

Ok folks, below are three pic's taken with my H1 which demonstate my problem. All are taken with the totally brainless, automatic Point & Shoot mode where I let the camera do what it wants to capture the best picture from about six feet away from the subject. No lens adapter, hood, or extra lenses. No zoom. AF in Monitor mode. No red eye reduction. AF illuminator in Auto.

#1 - My wife in a well-lit kitchen under fluorescent lights. Flash didn't come on. Pic is close to how the scene actually is in real life. Imight change B&C in Photoshop if the pic were important.

#2 - My wife at the kitchen table under asomewhat dim incandescent light. Flash came on. Pic issomewhat washed out. I would have to play with a couple things in this pic in Photoshop if the pic were important.

#3 - My wife in the living room under a still dimmer incandescent light. Flash came on. Entire pic is more washed out than before. I might reshoot in Manual or other mode if this pic were important.

Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:18 PM   #9

Pic #1
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:19 PM   #10

Pic #2
Attached Images