Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:16 PM   #1

hey all,
so im a complete noob with dslr cameras and since I will hopefully be buying one soon I was wanting some help with lenses. First off what lenses work with what, are there standard connections or something? Secondly, what makes a lense a good lense, and thirdly, what are some good lense company's?
thanks,
- legit
legit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:51 AM   #2

Each of the manufacturers usually have their own mount and only lenses made for that mount will fit.A few manufactures use a common mount. For example Fuji use the Nikon mount.

Sigma, Tokina, Tamron and Cosina plus a few others are lens makers and make lenses to fit most mounts usually for less money than the original camera manufacturers lenses.

As to what makes a good lens, generally a large maximum aperture for low light, preferably a constant aperture throughout the zoom range. Minimum distortion and chromatic aberation. You can find these by looking for reviews.

As for good manufacturers there isn't really an answer to that. Most make good and bad lenses. You can usually tell the good ones by the price. Sigma have the EX range of lenses which are their better quality and Tokina have the ATX which I believe are their better quality lenses. Canon and Nikon make excellent lenses but also make lesser quality budget lenses.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:54 AM   #3

I agree with what was said above. I'll just add that a lens is a tool.
So what lens is "good" doesn't mean that its "good" for you. Buy or borrow some reasonable lenses and try them out. See what things you like to photograph. As you do that, you'll find what lenses you really need (as opposed to want.) You find shots that you'll want to take that your current equipment won't be able to capture.

Once you figure out what you'll shoot what lens you "need" will probably be very easy to figure out.

As an addition to the above comments, Sigma has come a long way in the last several years. They used to make only rather low quality lenses. Their EX lens line is not cheap (but not as expensive as the higher end brands) and is still quite good. For example:
Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX (HSM)
is a very good lens. Not as good as the Canon in that range, but quite close and noticably cheaper.

Sigma AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
is a very cheap, bad lens. It should only be used as a doorstop, and that would be a waste of money.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:47 PM   #4

"First off what lenses work with what, are there standard connections or something?"

---lenses work with the camera brand mounts. Ex. Nikon F-mount. thus all nikon cameras would could mount the same lenses.

"Secondly, what makes a lense a good lense"

---There are many factors that make a good lenes, but "good" is a very broad term. For more information on lens quality research up sites where people give well done reviews of lenes. An example would be (http://www.fredmiranda.com/ where people who have bought the lens give ratings and suggestions to how they liked or disliked it, Fred miranda has the more common Nikon and Canon mount lenses.

"thirdly, what are some good lense company's?"

---You get what you pay for, you can have an awesome company that makes $200 lenses that are just terrible and also make $2000 lenses that professionals use everyday. Try to balance budget with getting some decent glass for a good investment. Any company is good in general. But i tend to go with the same company that made the camera.

Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:32 PM   #5

Wow! I learned a lot from that dude!

---lenses work with the camera brand mounts. Ex. Nikon F-mount. thus all nikon cameras would could mount the same lenses.

"Secondly, what makes a lense a good lense"

---There are many factors that make a good lenes, but "good" is a very broad term. For more information on lens quality research up sites where people give well done reviews of lenes. An example would be (http://www.fredmiranda.com/ where people who have bought the lens give ratings and suggestions to how they liked or disliked it, Fred miranda has the more common Nikon and Canon mount lenses.

"thirdly, what are some good lense company's?"

---You get what you pay for, you can have an awesome company that makes $200 lenses that are just terrible and also make $2000 lenses that professionals use everyday. Try to balance budget with getting some decent glass for a good investment. Any company is good in general. But i tend to go with the same company that made the camera.
peachysnow is offline   Reply With Quote