Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:25 AM   #1

Default USB ports

Well there isnt a topic for this directly so I am posting it here and does all cameras have the same USB hook up just depends on your computer doesnt it ???? Using a WIndows comp not a MAC LOL
matt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:49 AM   #2

matt81

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. So I'll answer what I think you mean, and you should feel free to ask more or head me in the right direction.

this is the quick answer:
Almost every digital camera uses USB1. Almost every computer sold in the last few years has USB2 (newer standard.) If you are running Windows ME, Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you should be all set. Win98 had serious troubles with USB. Win98SE was much better.... but the newer Windows are better. I don't think Windows NT ever had support (except maybe from third parties.)

As far as I know, once you connect your camera to your computer, the camera appears as a hard disk on your desk top. Someone else can add more info here.

-------------------------------
Long answer:

USB is an IEEE standard, I believe. This means that no company "owns" USB, but instead multiple companies worked together to create it.

There are two types of USB. USB 1/USB 1.1 is the original USB. It sends data at speeds up to 12Mb/s. Not very fast, but it was good enough for the initial version. The biggest win was the goal of simplicity. It was intended that users can add and remove devices without rebooting the computer. The design of the cables, which can only be plugged in 1 way, making them much simpler to attach. (I have "rung-out" too many serial cables trying to figure out how they are wired....)

Then later USB 2 hit the market. It is also called "USB hi-speed". It is 480Mb/s. It has all the benefits of USB1, and its faster and backward compatible with USB1. I believe even the cables are the same.

Some newer cameras do have USB2 ports on them. But they are expensive and fairly high end (I believe. Anyone?) Basically all MACs and PCs have USB2 now. So if you got your computer in the last few years you should be all set.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 11:39 AM   #3

thank you for clearing that up on me !! I get it now thanks again
matt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:49 PM   #4

USB2 will work with a USB1 cable, but not much faster than 1, there are cables and hubs for USB2
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:55 PM   #5

somewhereinusa

I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

Is that part of the standard (i.e. every USB 2 device must work with USB 1 to legally use the USB2 label) or is it hit-or-miss?
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:50 AM   #6

eric s

My understanding is that all USB2 devices will work on USB1 equipment. They just work at the slower speed

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:42 PM   #7

The only thing I think was a bad idea with USB, is that the device end connector can be of several different types. I even have a voice recorder with a USB connector on the recorder end, but a serial connector on the PC end !!!
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:19 AM   #8

MentorRon

What? A DB9 connector on one end? Are you sure that is really USB? If it has a "serial connector on the PC end" as you say, then you are plugging it into the serial port.... which means it isn't USB.

The USB spec is strickly controlled. After poking around on the usb.org web site, I could not find a set of pictures which directly stated that "USB can only have these ports" but they come clost to saying that in the FAQ. They show the normal port on the back of a computer.

What make and model was that voice recorder, now you've got we wanting to look it up.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:58 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
... now you've got we wanting to look it up.
Don't forget USB on-the-GO (slighly different connector!) http://www.usb.org/data/developers/otg/introduction.pdf

... and wireless USB (no connector!) :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.cypress.com/products/fami...9E4969D2471067
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:48 AM   #10

Keeping me honest, eh NHL?

Ya, I didn't look at the USB on-the-go stuff. I know nothing about it... so I assumed the connector was the same. Silly me!