Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

Hello, (just registered, and first post... I love this site... great info for all levels)

Newbie here… I have several questions and looking for some hardware and application help. Be aware I have read a lot, but might be using terms that I still don't have a full understanding of.

Looking to buy Canon PowerShot Pro1. To be used in a stationary indoor environment. I have found an excellent price for a new (not-refurbished) camera only. (No battery, memory card, usb cable, etc…. body with lens only)

Can I:

Get the camera only, use the AC adaptor CA-560 without a battery in the camera?

Get the camera only, us the InPhoto TWAIN driver software from Akond without a Memory card in the camera direct to TWAIN compliant software?

(Application of camera)

This is a hard one to describe….

Can I take pictures of glass-framed art on axis without a polarized filter? I'm planning to drape all visible background around the camera lens (peak through a large sheet) with Black Tuf-Fluck/Velour and light the frame from 3 sides with "full spectrum" light (5000K/92)... off-axis to avoid direct reflection, in a dark room…

Is such a light source naturally polarized, or do I still need to polarize it with some kind of diffuser? I have also thought of getting an anti-glare screen (what you would buy for a computer monitor) and place it in front of the frame….

Unfortunately I can't get rid of the glass, and I need square corners and good color representation so I don't think I can go off axis.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

TX Luffe
luffeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:06 PM   #2

I can't help you with the camera specific questiosn, as I don't know that camera.

But I can say something about photographing art.
You are right on the money to worry about reflections and glare. This is normally done without the glass, but you know that and can't change that. Oh, well....

Usually people use multiple light sources and they have to make sure the camera is perpendicular to the plane of the picture. You should stop down a little bit to increase the depth of field, but not too much. This should guarrenty that the entire picture is in focus.

That should also cut down on the reflections. I don't know if it will prevent them, though.

You should also make sure that whatever you use for a light source that the lights are the same. Even a slightly different light could produce a color cast that will throw off your image. If I were you, I'd get a "white card" for color balancing and put that in the corner of the image (you'll crop it off later) and use that to correct the white balace while image editing. Some cameras let you take the picture of something white and then tell the camera that that image is "white" - its often called "custom white balance". I don't know if that camera supports it or not.

I hope that helps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:23 PM   #3

Thank you Eric.

I have contacted Canon support and Akond support with the camera questions. I'll keep the list updated on the answers.

I found this interesting article on White Balancing if anyone is interested.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

It helped me understand the issues better…

I'm starting to loosely test my future setup with a regular camera, and I think I'll get a polarizing filter for the new camera and see how it works out. It seem hard to control the light vs dark and glass right now…. Overwhelming actually...

Can anyone suggest a good "color chart" that has greys, colors and scale? I'll frame it behind glass and try to get the best Photoshop setup possible with whatever solution I end up with.

Thank you again,

Luffe
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:26 PM   #4

Glad to help.
The best chart out there right now, as far as I know is the:
gretag macbeth chart

search on google with that text string and you'll find examples of it and places that sell it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:45 PM   #5

FYI on the Canon Pro 1 questions: (Reply from Canon)

The Pro1 camera can be used with the power adapter alone without the

battery in place in the camera.

Canon does not test cameras with other manufacturers software.

Therefore, there is always the possibility that the InPhoto software

will not interact properly with our cameras. However, it should be

possible to save images directly to your computer hard drive using the

remote shooting function with no memory card installed in the camera.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact

us again if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your Pro1

camera.....

Anyone experienced with the InPhoto software and the Pro 1?

Eric, I'm looking at the charts now... TX

Luffe
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:41 PM   #6

Hi Eric (all),

From a littleresearch I'm leaning towards this KODAK chart.... basically because I'm a bit cheap, and don't want to pay $70 for a colored piece of paper...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/kodcolsepgui.html

Am I totally out of line on this, and is there a noticeable difference for my use?

TX

Luffe