Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:32 AM   #1

Default Choosing camera

I am looking to buy my first digital camera.
I have use an Olympus Om10 SLR 35mm with 3 lenses for the last 15 years purely as a hobby. I now have my own busines website setup and need to expand it and also printed catalougues nad flyers, so will need to take a lot of photos. Product is mostly automotive electrical, globes, switches, cable ties, battery terminals etc. I intend to probably use a cocoon, lightbox with fluorescent designed for digital stills, and tripod. Anyway some suggestions please, I have looked at and toss up between, Fuji S602, Kodak LS443, Olympus C4000,. One feature I have forgotten to check with digital so far is remote shutter.
Thankyou in advance.
ian_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 12:29 PM   #2

The C4000 does not support a remote shutter system. The Olympus C4040 does support remote shutter system. The C4040 also has better optics than any of the cameras you listed. Try www.dealtime.com for list of vendors and seller ratings.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:19 AM   #3

Default Keeps going up

Thanks for your info.
Went to check out 4040 tonight and came back with guff om 5050. apparntley superseding 4040.
Nice camera, still a little torn between the oly and the Fuji, have a soft spot for the oly after 20 yaers on SLR 35mm with one.
The only other issue is our prices really suck here in Australia.
Had cosidered buying a unit on Buy Now on E bay direct from the USA, however after reading the review regarding these direct stores, I don't think so. I was also a little suspect with a reply to an email I recieved telling me my import duty would only be $50, any more they would pay.
I import goods and it doesn't work that way.

If your wondering the Fuji is $1800 and the Oly $1700 out here.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 7:57 AM   #4

How big and what quality are your catalogue pictures going to be? Glossy tabloid size? Newsprint 3x4"?

Unless you are going for very large, very high quality, just about any current digicam 3Mpixels and up will likely do the job for you - given it has a remote. And there are aftermarket systems for remotes - see the Remote Control forum here for some ideas about that.

So I'd suggest picking the camera on the basis of what other things you want to do with it. Low light? Good burst? Small size? External flash? Long zoom? Wide angle?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:11 AM   #5

The differences between the C4040 and the C5050 are the following:

5mp
multiple media support: compact flash, smart media, microdrive and xd picture card.
photo assist lamp
moveable lcd panel
hot shoe for external flash

If budget can afford the C5050 that would be my camera choice. I own the C4040 and it is an excellent camera with the same optics as the C5050. You can view some of my photos at:

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 2:53 PM   #6

Default Image size.

Cheers Guys.

Bill Mp size I had come to the conclusion you were right on, actually I think even 2mp would cover majoruty of my needs. Most prints will be around 1 1/2" up tp 3" for my printed media, I do not believe the web pictures are as critical, for the odd large print that I need I have the 35mm.

However it is like anything isn't it start off looking at the basic and end up at the top.

Of more of a concern is getting a camera with the controls and the foccussing ability I need.

Most of my parts are small and I intend to buy an apparatus called a cocoon, it is a portable zip together fabric box with 3 locations in the top for the camera lens to enter. Place yor product inside, light on the outside and click away. Focus point aboubt 300 - 500mm.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:05 PM   #7

By "control" do you mean running it connected to the computer so you can see the images on a large screen fairly quickly? That would be very usefull if your set-up allows it. The key word for searching is "tethered".

Several Casio cameras can be used that way - see http://www.dicasoft.de/ for specifics. Would be worth checking for a specific model - my camera (Casio 3000) works, but resets itself to the wide end of the lens every time DiCaCont downloads an image. I think it works better with more recent models.

I've never used the kind of light set-up you are describing, but keep in mind that digicams generally run with an ISO of 100 and don't like long exposure times - noise starts showing up somewhere about 1/10th sec in many digicams and get worse at longer times. You might need some very bright lights - which are called hot lights for good reason. You might want some high powered flash units to keep the temperature in the room reasonable.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 6:51 AM   #8

Default cocoon

Bill.
By remote I am looking to just operate the shutter with a trigger, on my old SLR it was a cable job, I believe some of the digitals use infra red, the Casio wire remotes opn the link you sent are what I am looking for. Purely want to save knocking the camera once I have tripod and everything set, I then should be abble to swap product over with minimum change to position, focus, etc.

Incidintally if you are interested in the light box check this link out.
www.crkennedy.com.au/content/home.html

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/content/.../triimage.html

I went in today and discussed with them, I think I have a couple of lights that I sell that will do the job.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 7:31 AM   #9

Default Re: cocoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_Oz
... I think I have a couple of lights that I sell that will do the job.
You are likely right, but I'd strongly suggest getting a camera that can support an external flash so you have a back-up plan. I'm not sure, but I think the photo of that set-up is showing it being used with studio flash units.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 7:52 AM   #10

Default Studio flash

The light s are a Fluorescent unit.

They run 3 Fluorescent tubes each total of 35w, the first page from memory lists what is in the kit.

I went into the wholesaler today and went through the set up with them.

Your point with the external flash is duly taken, I infact bought home a pamphlet on some of their units. I need to check my exisiting flash which I think will be strong enough providing I get the right camera.

I am looking at a smaller box than the one in the photo. AUD$150 which I think is quite reasonable.

The lights are about $550. As I said I wholesale a Large Fluorescent floodlight also the Gas Discharge Lights as used in the new luxury cars. We do them in the worklights, Police and ambulance are starting to use the to light up accident scenes for work and photography as it is a daylight intensity.

So I will try exisisting light before I expend money on that area, will order the box over the weekend.

So now I am bck to my initial quandry of which camera. ?