Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1

Ok, I am looking into getting a filter and have narrowed it down to UV or Cir-Pol. I am leaning toward the Cir-Pol, since to me the UV seems to do a bit, and generally be used as a lens protector.

I know most of shots will be outdoors, mainly of buildings, landscapes, wildlife, and gardens. So is the Cir-Pol the way to go? Or should I buy both?

Thanks!

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2

Think about what each filter is used for...

UV, ultra-violet filter, this filter is usually used to cut down on UV frequency light that give landscape photo a "hazy" look. Most of the time not really that useful except bright sunny days. Otherwise used for a lens protector because it'll keep the front element from getting too banged up.

Circ-Pol, Circular Polarizer, this filter is used to "polarize" light coming in from a 90 degree angle, this cuts down on refelected light that originates from an non-metalic material (ie. water, leaves, glass) turning the circ-pol will alter the amount of light transmissable through the polarized element.

Basically think about what you are trying to achieve with these filters before just slapping any old filter on, think about it, are you putting a $20 filter on your $1000+ lens? But otherwise note that filters of lower grades can lower optical performance.

^^ btw, most pros swear by B+W brand filters filters.....a bit expensive tho ..haha
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:45 PM   #3

Yeah, I have looked into the pros/cons a bit, and am still leaning toward a Cir-Pol because I think it might be a better fit. The B&W ones are nice and pricey (isn't everything in Canada that way? :-) ) But might go with one of the Hoya Super Quality series.

Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:50 PM   #4

Watch out for the Hoya Multi-coat filters, they are a pain to clean if you dont know how to do it right...
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:23 AM   #5

If you're mainly using the filter for protection, keep in mind that a polarizer reduces light going into the lens by 1.5-2 stops, so you'll need to allow for that. A UV or Skylight 1A/1B filter won't cost you any light.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6

What is the main reason for getting a filter?? If its for protection, a UV would be best as it has no effect on exposure. Be aware, I wouldn't get a cheap filter, as filters may degrade image quality. Unless you're exceptionally clumsy or unlucky, the lens hood does just as good a job protecting the front element.

The description given before about a polarizer is correct. In general, I would only use polarizer or any other filter when I want the desired effect. A polarizer would compound issues in low light/indoor situations.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:21 PM   #7

Back in my youth, when I used a Crown Graphic and took all my picson B&W film, I would often use a polarizing filter and foundit easy to know when and how to use the filter.

I have recently started getting a bit more serious about still photography again, and got a CP for my digital camera. I have yet to get an image that I find acceptable, let alone better than the unfiltered image, with the CP. I may just be a slow learner, but I find polarizers really, really hard to use with color. Of course, YMMV.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:05 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to go with both a UV and polarizer, since each will be used in different situations. The UV will mainly be the protection one tho. I am probably going Hoya or B+W for them.

Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:00 AM   #9

Does the front of the lens you are going to use the filter with turn as it focuses? If so, a polarizer will be difficult to use with it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote