Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:55 PM   #11

Eric...sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I used manual focus on my digicam...I have a C4000Z and as anyone will tell you, the manual focus is so clumsy that you certainly wouldn't want to use it except perhaps in special situations where the AF is struggling...for the most part the AF works extremely well, but every once in a while I get a shot where I wonder what the heck it was tryin' to focus on.

I prefer to use spot focus.

I was pretty much talking about film SLR cameras, and the move towards AF in them...my camera is an (old) Canon AE-1 with the same split circle that you are talking about...even with that very accurate feature I find myself focusing by eye...and it's pretty accurate and fast though my eyes aren't what they used to be!

I'm a hobbiest...not even a good amateur photographer but I love taking pictures...

The instant feedback, histograms, and ability to have my own computer "darkroom" is great, and I am really enjoying digital...

But there is something about the great feel of that AE-1 in my hands, turning that focus ring manually, and using the zoom to crop my shot...
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rych26
But there is something about the great feel of that AE-1 in my hands, turning that focus ring manually, and using the zoom to crop your shot...
100% with you there, Stu. I know what you mean.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote