Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 21, 2003, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Questions on choosing a new digicam

I used to have a Fuji MX1200 and it was ok for a first camera. Then a year or 2 ago I bought a Casio QV2900UX and most of the time it's simply amazing. Eventually I want to get a 4 or 5MP camera, but I know of some of the Casio's limitations I'd like to avoid in the future. So I have some questions:

But first a little background: one of the most painful shortcomings of the Casio is slow write speeds (boy I hope IBM hurries MRAM's development up). I've heard some cameras have built-in RAM to buffer images until they can be written to a memory card (of whatever type), allowing the photographer to take multiple, full quality, hi res shots in rapid succession. Secondly, the main reason for getting the Casio was the 8x optical zoom (2x on the Fuji wasn't cutting it).

(1) I know the HP PhotoSmart 850 and Nikon CoolPix 5700 meet the Megapixel size and optical zoom requirements I have, but can either do rapid shots?

(2) If not, what 4-5MP cameras can do rapid shots (even with a modest 3x or so optical zoom is fine I suppose)?

(3) If that's not demanding enough for a digicam, do any cameras match all of the above and have built-in black&white and/or sepia filters (like my Casio does, doing it in software is fine with me)?

(4) If all else fails, what buzzwords would give away that a camera can take shots in rapid succession?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read all this & respond
opteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2003, 5:20 AM   #2

Rapid successtion shots is still a problem. Some cameras demand a lower res to do it.

You'll not get much better than the Nikon 5700, Minolta 7Hi. If these aren't fast enough you'll struggle to find your goal.

You'll have to check the specs on the review side.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 5:28 AM   #3
NHL

Usually the simplest way to speed up any camera is to turn its autofocus OFF... Or lock the AF by 1/2 pressing the shutter release to pre-focus first since this will remove all delay associated with the shutter.

Also on some cameras like the D7s in AF, if you don't release the shutter release all the way (ie keep it 1/2 pressed), subsequent shots are equally as fast... and you can also do fine-tuning with the Direct Manual Focus overide right through the manual focusing ring... 8) 8) 8)

Quote:
(3) If that's not demanding enough for a digicam, do any cameras match all of the above and have built-in black&white and/or sepia filters (like my Casio does, doing it in software is fine with me)?
The D7i/Hi does this internally as well... with 11 different electronic color filters that you can play with. BTW the D7Hi can actually buffer 5 full-resolution raw (not just jpegs) frames @ 3fps also :lol: :lol: :lol:

... and then of course if that's not fast enough there are always the $$$$ dSLRs!!! ops: ops: ops:

MRAM hey? http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7673
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote