Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 22, 2003, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Is there a big difference between 2X and 3x optical zoom?

hello, I am very new to dig camera world. I am wondering Is there a big difference between 2X and 3x optical zoom ?
SmOoTh__OpErAteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2003, 9:13 PM   #2

Default Re: Is there a big difference between 2X and 3x optical zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmOoTh__OpErAteR
hello, I am very new to dig camera world. I am wondering Is there a big difference between 2X and 3x optical zoom ?
The difference is not very significant in the normal range. However, you will see significant change of the angle of view when the lens is set to the wide end and longer telephoto end, because the angle of view may be nearly doubled for the wide case or half-ed in the telephoto case. You might want to take a look at the "Lens Converter" page and the "Kenko 6X .." page of my 4500 user guide.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 7:53 AM   #3

SmOoTh__OpErAteR

I'm assuming you're asking the question because it's the only noticeable difference between two cameras you're looking to buy. The X rating isn't as useful as the 35mm equivalent values that they give. To put out an extreme example, both of these two zooms would be 3x

100-300mm
20-60mm

With the first one, you'll have a hard time using it indoors and for taking portraits. The second one wouldn't be as good for wild animal shots (couldn't get close enough.)

The X factor is handy and simple, but not as useful.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:26 PM   #4

hey guys, thank for your help. I will be using my camera for medium range shot. The reason why I am asking this is b/c i am make a decision to get Canon S230 or S300. S230 offers more pixel but less optical zoom, while S300 offers more zoom, but less pixel.
Like i say, I am going to get a camera for medium range shooting, but it would be nice to have higher zoon. So, the question is should I take pixel over optical zoom?

thank you!
SmOoTh__OpErAteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 8:42 PM   #5

Hey smooth, I had the same decision to make a few weeks ago. Now I am not going to tell you what to do but I will tell you what I did. I decided on getting the Nikon 2100 which is a 2 megapixel 3x optical zoom camera. I am very happy with my new camera and have taken some pretty sweet pictures. The Canon s230 is a new camera with newer features and what not. I am not an expert on the matter by far but I would probably choose the s230 over the 300. Just my opinion, Take it for what its worth

Peace...

Shiggy
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote