Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 26, 2003, 2:19 AM   #1

Default Digital prints - tips, tricks, how to???

I just bought a Minolta F100 (first digital camera - 4mp). Anyhow, it will mainly be used for pics of the family and other basic stuff.

My main concern is how to get prints "developed". I know there are numerous online places that do it, such as ophoto, and shutterfly...then there is Walmart and Costco and others that are local.

I know that some you can upload to and others you can take the data in on a CD or on your memory card.

I have heard that b/c the aspect ratio is different on digital cameras then the std 4x6 prints, there is some problems that can be encountered. I am unclear on what I need to do to obtain prints that go all the way to the edge of the 4x6 paper. DO I need to do some cropping or resizing ahead of time? I think I read that the picture will be "stretched" otherwise.

Also, with the F100, I plan on taking pics in the 2272x1704 (image size) and the fine mode. I am pretty sure that will be fine for 4x6 prints....should I be using a smaller image size? such as the 1600x1200?

Is there a good FAQ somehwere that answers all these questions. I have done some searches but not much that answers these specific questions.

TIA
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2003, 3:44 AM   #2

Hi,

The best way to get good prints is to go to a photographer. In the Netherlands we have different way of getting the prints, like the supermarket etc. but the prints from the photographer are much better in my opinion, and because you know these are THE prints to keep (advantage of digital) the little more money is well spend.

The format of a normal print is indeed different than that from your camera, when shooting take this into account, and crop the pics to the correct size, this will prevent cut of detail/heads etc.

Always use the highest possible setting on your camera, or better the setting for print material, this is very close to maximum but has the correct size so you don't need to crop afterwards.

Personaly I like to have a bit more, so I can rotate and cut without loosing resolution too much.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
The format of a normal print is indeed different than that from your camera, when shooting take this into account, and crop the pics to the correct size, this will prevent cut of detail/heads etc.
I think Frank made a slip of the typing fingers, it is the aspect ratio that matters to most printing processes - not the size. At least that is what I have found at Wal*Mart. YMMV. That will pretty much always be different than the aspect ration straight out of your camera since you might be printing them at 4x5", 4x6", 5x7", 8x10", 11x14", ....

As for which one is best - try several and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that the ones that are "bad" are likely to be so because they are inconsistant - not because they mess up every print, so be prepared to change your mind after using one printing service for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden
Also, with the F100, I plan on taking pics in the 2272x1704 (image size) and the fine mode. I am pretty sure that will be fine for 4x6 prints....should I be using a smaller image size? such as the 1600x1200?
You should use the compression/image-size settings that produce the largest file size unless you have a reason to do otherwise. If you use a lower quality setting, that will turn out to be the picture you really want to print at as large a size as possible. Memory is cheap now so that should not be a reason to use lower quality settings.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:53 AM   #4

Indeed I meant the aspect Ratio.

Normally I shoot at the highest possible setting on the camera and take a little extra background for cropping or rotating.

After deciding which format I want my prints I crop the pictures to that format, or I choose the format of my prints according to the pics . It all depends what "clicks".

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote