Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

I just got a Canon A610. It's 5MP and I want to take an outdoor picture of the family and enlarge it. As for the size, I don't know. Ijust want it as big as possiblewithout it getting"fuzzy" (sorry I don't know the proper lingo). What settings do I use? Do I shoot in RAW or JPEG? Does it matter? My plan was to just put the camera on Auto and see what I get. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.:-)

Thanks,

Futbolmom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:31 PM   #2

Auto will give you good enlarged (8x10) pictures, and they shouldn't be "fuzzy" (out of focus or soft) though a little sharpening in post processing wouldn't hurt.

As for the RAW/JPEG question, the A610 doesn't have RAW.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:17 PM   #3

Thanks Homer. What do I need to do if I want to blow the picture up larger than an 8 X 10? I don't really know what the next sizes up are, but I doknow I want it larger than and 8 X 10. (large as possible). Can a 5MP camera go larger?

FBmom
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:21 PM   #4

I doubt that you'll print larger pictures than the 5 MP's can handle, though for larger than 8x10, I reccomend youpost process the picture (sharpen, ect.), because it starts to get expensive to make prints larger than 8x10, and a bad print can be a expensive mistake.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:05 PM   #5

Sorry Homer, I'm very new to this...what's post process???
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:43 PM   #6

I don't mean to step on Homer's toes, here, but since I'm already logged on and all...

Post processing is any alteration you make to an image file after you take the picture.
This means opening the pic up in an editing program and adjusting the contrast, brightness, color cast & saturation, sharpening or whatever else you might feel improves the shot.

If you want to really enlarge your shots, set the camera to the highest resolution it is capable of (5MP in your case) and the highest quality setting. You will get less shots on your memory card at the maximum quality setting, but the JPEG compression will be less and give the best results that the camera can offer. In fact, if your camera can shoot in TIFF format, that would be better than JPEG for enlargements.

Have fun!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:07 PM   #7

I agree that 8x10" is likely as large as you will be able to go, but make some prints to find out. To keep the cost down, print a small section - a section with the most detail. As an example, if a crop of 1/4 of the long sidewhen printed at 4x6" looks good, you should be able to make a 16x24" print.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:38 PM   #8

Two easy ways to post process using zoombrowser:

Go into the zoombrowser program that came with the A610, and open up the picture you want to print. clickon edit at the top of the window, and then auto adjustment.In the next window, then click on auto adjust image. If youwant to view the orginal, clik on the check box to go beetween that and the new one.

If you just want to sharpen the image,click onedit, then sharpen. In the new window, use the slider at the top right of the window toincrease or decrease the sharpeneing, until you are happy with the image.

Once you are done with the image, put on your memory card or a CD and take it to a store for printing, or use a photo printer to print the image.

There is a number of other thing you can do to the image with the zoombrowser program, so I suggest you seach through it. In post processing, you can save underexposed images, make the image sharper, make it the colors in the image more vivid or dull,keep only a certain color in the image andturn the rest black and white ( you may need to use a different program for this. If your computer has microsoft picture it!, use that.), and much more.

Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:57 PM   #9

Thank you all so much. Can you tell me though...What setting do I use? Homer said something about Auto mode not working for anything past an 8 X 10. Can I use P mode? Since I want toshoot outdoors, will the portrait mode work? Thanks again!

Futbolmom:?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:32 PM   #10

You could use Portrait mode.

Keep the ISO as low as possible on your camera, to keep the "noise" down.

Also, maybe use some fill flash. Even if the sun is out, pop up the flash!

Sometimes if you print black and white, you can get away a larger print than 8x10.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote