Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:48 PM   #1

Default ACDSee 5.0 vs. Irfanview?

Hi, New to this.. Someone recommended ACDSee 5.0 to me on this board, I also saw a post about www.irfanview.com and their freeware product.

Does anyone know the differences between them and is ACDSee worth paying for?

Thanks
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 2:40 AM   #2

Hi,

Best thing about ACDSee is the overal usability.
I don't know for the other package but with ACDSee you get an editor a lightning fast tumbnail system and you can give resizing for complete series.

ACDSee 3 was given by my camera I upgraded to 5 and for me it's money well spenc.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 4:37 AM   #3

I'm a fan of ACDsee and would recommend it. When I make archive backups to CD I now copy across the ACDsee thumbnail and info files before burning the Jpegs. That way you open up a CD and the CD album thumbnails are all there.

Word of caution though. On my version, the editor will change your source file in the background, without asking permission to overwrite the file. That's a disaster if you open a cam original file by mistake instead of a copy! I now access and lock all my cam original files as 'read only' to stop accidents.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:30 PM   #4

Default acdsee 5.0

I'd go with acdsee. Best bet for the money.

I started with a trial version, and then paid for a copy.

If money is tight, I know you can download a hacked copy from IMesh if you have that
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:30 PM   #5

Default acdsee 5.0

I'd go with acdsee. Best bet for the money.

I started with a trial version, and then paid for a copy.

If money is tight, I know you can download a hacked copy from IMesh if you have that
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 6:22 AM   #6

I'd go with Irfanview. Best bet for the money... in fact, probably the best bit of completely FREE software you can get anywhere. Although I use both Photoshop and PaintShop Pro, I'd be lost without Irfanview - it does things in some areas that neither of the heavyweights can match.

Since it costs nothing, try it first - if it doesn't suit, pay to try something else.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 7:08 AM   #7

There are pro's and cons. I wouldn't regard ACDSee as my editing software. But it does a pretty good job of Album viewing and sorting. Don't know what Irfanview is like on reading EXIF data, I know ACDSee misses some stuff out, but I use EXIFER anyway for that.

When I started looking at Viewers/Organisers I was pretty careful to make sure that things like notes/album data/ thumbnail presentations etc are stored in a format where you can get at them and they don't customise your filing system or cam original files, such it hangs on a Vendor's software which you become locked into, as your archive builds.

In future you might move to another system and have all those photo notes in a form you can't read or transfer. I know the ACDSee system builds readable text files. What I like about ACDSee is the brutal way I sometimes move files around directories, and it still tracks and updates the thumbnail views and picture notes. Just something to think about.

Don't use early versions of ACDsee (below V3.5-4.0?), which you might still find on the web, the editor strips your EXIF data on saves.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 3:08 PM   #8

You shouldn't think of one vs. the other when looking at utilies, in particular when one of them is free. Get IrfanView - it is free, so why not? I've not used ACDsee because it does cost and I don't feel a need for what it provides - the folks who do use it seem very happy so it does fill a need for them.

As for an EXIF reader - look for one that is specific to your camera. Likely there is data in there that the generic readers won't display. In my case (Casio 3000), the generic readers miss things like distance to focus point, white balance, and a few other. I also like EXIF Image Viewer (http://members.nbci.com/mkowalski.1/ - freeware)

So don't be afraid of well reviewed freeware downloaded from a reputable site. It seems each has some very usefull feature, e.g. IrfanView's set of batch utilites.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 12:14 PM   #9
Boz

The new website for EXIF Image Viewer is http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
You shouldn't think of one vs. the other when looking at utilies, in particular when one of them is free. Get IrfanView - it is free, so why not? I've not used ACDsee because it does cost and I don't feel a need for what it provides - the folks who do use it seem very happy so it does fill a need for them.

As for an EXIF reader - look for one that is specific to your camera. Likely there is data in there that the generic readers won't display. In my case (Casio 3000), the generic readers miss things like distance to focus point, white balance, and a few other. I also like EXIF Image Viewer (http://members.nbci.com/mkowalski.1/ - freeware)

So don't be afraid of well reviewed freeware downloaded from a reputable site. It seems each has some very usefull feature, e.g. IrfanView's set of batch utilites.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 5:24 AM   #10

I would also recomend you acdsee.
clubart is offline   Reply With Quote