Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:26 PM   #1

Default NEED HEAPS OF HELP!!! - Which camera to get??? i'm new !!

Hey everyone i'm looking at the following cameras:

The cameras i'm looking at all vary in prices and have good and down points but i was wondering whether anyone had a bit more info about which camera/s may not be up to the image and lens quality of the others. The List is:

- Canon Powershot G3 (expensive but worth the price?)
- Canon Powershot S50 (is it just a good as a G3 quality wise and cheaper?)
- Canon Powershot S45 (should i just go with the newer 50 so it isn't outdated?)
- Fugi Finepix f601Z (i dont really know about this one but it looks to be good but is it equal with the s45 and s50 for picture and lens quality?)
- Fugi Finepix 6900 (the look of this camera is great, i love the lens but is it out dated now and new one coming in?)
- Minolta Dimage 7i (expensive but looks so damn good, i put the 7i model in becaue i saw i could purchase this on ebay which may be cheaper than a 7hi on retail. IS this all its cracked up to be and because a 7hi model came out so quaickly afterwards, does this mean the 7i model isn't good? And is this on par with the sony F717?)
- MInolta Dimage 404S (i think possibly the worst of the bunch but could be good on price. just put this on the list in case it is up there with the fugi and canons??)

I really like the dimage 7i, the fugi 6900, canon s50 and G3 the most i believe, but only if i can get it at a reasonable price. Of these four is the fugi 6900 too old to compete with only the 2nd gen super ccd chip? I realise the 601 fugi has the 3rd gen chip but for not much less price than the others, i think i want to go with a nice good lens and package together.

PLEASE I REALLY need any HELP that anyone can offer of which cameras are worth their price etc!! I'm in australia so my prices arent in u.s. bucks.
shnobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:08 PM   #2

Of them I'd have the 6900 for the 6x lens.

Don't discount the Oly C730 with its 10x lens.

Ok i'm a long lens guy - so flexible.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 4:43 PM   #3

My favorite phrase: "budget restraints". Find the camera that meets your shooting style. Steve loves those ultra zooms and I like the low light capabilities. Define what you will be shooting. Fine the cameras that will meet your style. Then, budget restraints will help you narrow your list. Then buy the best camera that is in your final list. Olympus will start selling C750 in May, 4mp and 10X optical.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:05 AM   #4

ok cool that new olympus looks good but sorta looking at one now and for some reason, i'm not and olympus guy. Basically i'm looking for fast shutter speed to capture action, most of my shots will be outdoors in daylight, indoors under flash (shots of people etc) and maybe would like to do some night shots of city light and things.

Most important factors for me are optical lens (i love the nice 5x lenses and more) which is why i'm hesitant about the fuji 601. Second is i would like at least a 4mp cam or a 3mp superccd cam. Then basically i'm either a canon, fuji, nikon or minolta boy. I love the sony fc717 too. Is this better than the dimage 7i? My fav cams so far seem to be the dimage 7i, sony fc717, nikon 5700 and the fuji s602 or 6900. But the canon is just there as well because putting the lens aside, the s50 and G3 seem bloody nice too. I'm a point and shoot man alot, but want a high quality camera to develop more semi professional skills. I am a motion picture maker so i do want full control over fstops, shutter speed, white balance etc. I do go alot on reputation of the camera so thats why i'm trying to see if anyone has a particular one they like from the list i put in. all help is reall appreciated!
shnobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:24 AM   #5

I would choose between the minolta 7i and Nikon 5700 and would lean toward the 5700.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:36 AM   #6

It is a matter of "thining the herd" - figure out what features are important to you and delte the ones that don't have that feature. As an example,
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnobble
... indoors under flash (shots of people etc) ...
Since all built-in flash units are junk, you want a camera that can use an external flash unit. Don't even consider any camera without external flash.
Quote:
... i love the nice 5x lenses and more ...
That might thin the herd more than you want. Also 5x only tells part of the story - do you want the wide angle end of it or the long end of it? Would an add-on lens do the job for you? Are you used to hand holding a long lens? Do you have a decent tripod?
Quote:
... i'm trying to see if anyone has a particular one they like ...
It seems that the only responses that anyone gets from that question is, "Mine. My camera is the best." If you want to see user comments, take a look at the forums for the specific camera and watch for posts from people having problems. Most problems are caused by the device a couple inches behind the viewfinder, but some are real problems/quirks of the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:55 PM   #7

Hi, shnobble. It seems that some of the cameras you're considering are the same as ones I've looked at. I, too, am looking for something that can handle action shots. I started probing everyone's brains a while ago and thought maybe you might get some insight from posts under my original. Below is the title:

Digicam Suggestions please (abused topic, I know)

- Jeff
mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote