Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1

I am currently useing a new Dell XPS laptop and the screen seems to not be doing reds and contrast accuratly. I'd like to buy a nice 19" or bigger accurate monitor.

Any suggestions?
mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:24 AM   #2
E.T

CRT would be magnitude surer choise than LCD/TFT, many LCDs have problems with black color (instad of black it's greyish), also they have problems with different dark shades which tend to go completely "black".
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:42 PM   #3

While I completely agree with E.T. in suggesting a CRT, it should be said that most good CRTs are no longer being made and will therefor be very hard to find. Do look around, but don't expect to find a really good one.

I got mine as a refurb unit at overstock.com for $350USD (a 21") and I'm very happy with it. New that monitor cost about 4 times that.

You can make your laptop better (but not great) by using a hardware device to profile your monitor. I use the Optrix XR Pro, but others here use a similar device from Spyder.

This is similar to what I have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
I say similar because I didn't pay this much. So I'm assuming its the "pro" model or something similar. Often a big difference is that they can profile your printers as well as your monitor (and that costs more) but this one doesn't list that feature.

I'm not a Fan of earler spyder units, but I've read that they have improved. I don't honestly know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:23 PM   #4

I do not think a good pro style CRT will be something I can by new. So far I only see LCD or I can buy a good plasma and mount that to the wall! I really do not have the office space to put a big CRT set anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:31 PM   #5
NHL

mdrums wrote:
Quote:
... or I can buy a good plasma and mount that to the wall!
A large screen plasma will never be a good display
1. You will 'burn' the window icons on the screen if they stays fix in one place
2. There's a finite life to the light source behind it... (and watch your electric bill)
3. You'll be cropping it to 4:3 aspect
4. The same color problems (i.e black) that E.T mentioned still apply especially in dim areas!
-> But I have one and watching MPEG4 from Satellite is really cool though... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:07 PM   #6

SONY 17" LCD

SDM-HS73

$475-500
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:42 PM   #7

Sony 17" LCD huh? cool I will have to check that one out! THANKS!

I was really joking about the plasma tv thing. Actually I am quite the home theater buff and am aware of the black level s of plasma tv's. They are actually getting good now. I have an awesome Loewe (pronounce Lu-Va) 42" plasma for my bedroom HT system. the color accuracy is very very good but the black level could be a bit better. My main room is a 116" screen with a Sim2 DLP projector that will knock you out. Both monitors have been professionally ISF'd too.

So what are you all using for monitors to check the quality of your images?

Thanks for all the reply's too! Mike
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:06 PM   #8

I hate to say it, but any LCD in that price range is probably not that great. It will probably be better than your laptop screen, but a good CRT would be much better. It will probably not show great dark detail, have whites that are too bright and be inconsistent across the width of the screen.

But it is really all about your standards. Many people would be happy with a "good" monitor (which that LCD might be) but others would not. Personally, I looked at LCDs that I would find acceptable and they cost way to much (around $1,500 and up) so I got the CRT instead (a NEC MyltiSync FE2111sb) and I'm very happy.

No matter what you get, get a device to calibrate your monitor. Even a very good monitor that isn't calibrated will look worse than an ok monitor that is calibrated.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:19 AM   #9
NHL

mdrums

I was @ the CES early this year - Everyone had their 1080p plasma now, but the best monitor at the show was actually a Canon:

http://hometheater.consumerelectroni...e.jsp?id=36718
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:53 PM   #10
E.T

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Everyone had their 1080p plasma now, but the best monitor at the show was actually a Canon:*

http://hometheater.consumerelectroni...e.jsp?id=36718
I agree that it's very promising technology, it kinda combines principle of CRT to thin structure.
Hopefully capability to different resolutions would be as good as that of CRTs.

I just hope that my Samsung 959NF works untill these flat displays have gotten rid of child diseases...

http://www.networkworld.com/net.work...oshiplans.html
http://www.meko.co.uk/sed.shtml

http://www.behardware.com/articles/5...-kind-sed.html

Makes TFTs to looks extremely inferior...
Contrast ratio : 100,000:1
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote