Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:00 AM   #1

I'm looking for a camera that takes really good close ups for jewelry and other small items as I might sell on line. I think I should be looking for a good macro wide range as this is the setting for close up ofsmall items. I t hink macro tele is for objects far away that I want to get close up. Am I right or did I read the digicam dictionary incorrectly? I just want to check before I make a $300.00 mistake. Thanks
bucky0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:58 AM   #2

When you fill a frame with a very small object in wide angle the lens is very close to the object. It is hard to get good lighting and you can't normally use the flash. And barrel distortion is extreme and edge sharpness usually poor.

With most cameras the area you can capture in a frame becomes much larger as you zoom out. My pocket camera will shoot from 4 inches at wide but can't focus inside 20 inches at 3X. Obviously you get a larger area with wide angle and it wouldn't be appropriate for your purpose in either range..

There are some cameras that let you fill a frame with a fairly small area of 3 X 4 inches from telephoto. You have much less problem with lighting and not nearly as much barrel distortion. The Canon A610 and A620 are both well within your budget and do a nice job at telephoto.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:48 PM   #3

OK I was looking at the a610 to begin with but someone told me the Kodak z700 was also good for close ups of jewelry. Here are the specs:

Focus range

Standard—2 ft (0.6 m) to infinity; Macro, wide—2–4 in. (0.05–still 0.1 m); Macro, tele—10–28 in. (0.25–0.7 m); Landscape—33 ft (10 m)–infinity

Or is the macro wide range of only 2 to 4 inches too limited? I've never had a digital before and would like something easy but with a little flexibility also. But of course I really, really need that good macro. Do I also need to keep focal length in mind or that doesn't really matter in this equation? What do you think and thanks for your help?
bucky0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:54 PM   #4

For your purposes I would go with the A610. It is inexpensive and very competent. You can't get a better lens in that price range. The flip-out articulated LCD is also very handy for macro work.

The 610 and 620 focus to 1 inch, which is impractical. 2 inches will give lighting problems. I don't think the Kodak would give you quite as small an area at full zoom, but it would be sufficient I think.

I doubt you would go wrong with either, but unless the Kodak is really cheap it is hard to beat the A610. They both come with alkaline AA batteries and you would do yourself a big favor by picking up a charger and 4 NiMH battery package. Wal-Mart had one for under $20 with four batteries and a charger. You can get a lot more shots with the Canon but it carries four rather than the two in the Kodak.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote