Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 36
Default

In terms of the D50 - I know it has a bar that will tell you in the viewfinder if exposure is over or under - but what I am asking is will the DSLR's viewfinder's actual brightness be representative of the actual shot ?

My guess is that it will not be because the shutter speed will affect the actual outcome of the finished shot compared to what you see in the viewfinder before you snap the shot - and you can't actually preview that like you can with a Depth of Field Preview button. You can only look at the LCD AFTER the shot - and then the LCD gain will affect what the pic looks like on the LCD.

I guess another way to ask - is there a way to see "shutter preview: like you can do with a "DOF" button ?


sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

There is no "live preview" option with the Nikon DSLR's. What you see in the viewfinder is not representative of exposure. Even DOF preview does not give you an idea of exposure as the viewfinder actually darkens depending on the aperature you're using (the smaller the aperature, the darker it gets) DOF preview is one of theleast understood and most overated features on a camera.

You just have to trust your instincts and the info you get from the camera prior to exposure. Couple that with what you've learned based on how the camera performs in certain situations, and you should be ok. For the most part the camera does a good job of calculating exposure and requires only minor tweaks. The D50 tends toward slight underexposure (at least in my experience) though not as much as the D70. A -0.3 exposure compensation will get you were you need to be for the most part.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:58 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 36
Default

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
There is no "live preview" option with the Nikon DSLR's. What you see in the viewfinder is not representative of exposure. Even DOF preview does not give you an idea of exposure as the viewfinder actually darkens depending on the aperature you're using (the smaller the aperature, the darker it gets) DOF preview is one of theleast understood and most overated features on a camera.

You just have to trust your instincts and the info you get from the camera prior to exposure. Couple that with what you've learned based on how the camera performs in certain situations, and you should be ok. For the most part the camera does a good job of calculating exposure and requires only minor tweaks. The D50 tends toward slight underexposure (at least in my experience) though not as much as the D70. A -0.3 exposure compensation will get you were you need to be for the most part.

Thanks Rj:

Did you mean "overexposure" not "underexposure" since you are adjusting -0.3 ?


sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 824
Default

sportster64 wrote:
Quote:
I guess another way to ask - is there a way to see "shutter preview: like you can do with a "DOF" button ?
No, no way to preview exposure. But since you can review the results immediately after shooting, you could take a test shot, look at the results, and adjust (assuming you're not taking a 30-minute exposure at night or something).
Some cameras also have functions that cause over/under exposed parts of the image to flash in the review mode, or a histogram that shows the distribution of exposure. These are very helpful when determining if you're exposing properly.


Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:04 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 36
Default

How does the P&S digitals give real time exposure on the LCD or the EVF ?

Like my Pana FZ15 - if you go to full manual mode - and purposely unserexpose the shot - the EVF or LCD will go very dark ?

IS th PS digitals sctually moving the aperature and shutter ?


sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
sportster64 wrote:
Quote:
I guess another way to ask - is there a way to see "shutter preview: like you can do with a "DOF" button ?
No, no way to preview exposure. But since you can review the results immediately after shooting, you could take a test shot, look at the results, and adjust (assuming you're not taking a 30-minute exposure at night or something).
Some cameras also have functions that cause over/under exposed parts of the image to flash in the review mode, or a histogram that shows the distribution of exposure. These are very helpful when determining if you're exposing properly.

oops!!! Yes I got it backwards. I meant overexposure.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:15 AM.