Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:22 PM   #11
Administrator

If you shoot into a reflective surface, you'll see reflections (and it will also reflect your flash). ;-)

You'll also see exposure problems shooting into something reflective (because the camera is seeing too much reflected light when it uses a "preflash" to help judge the length of the main flash needed).

Basically, it's using a very short (usually not even noticed) metering preflash and measuring the light it sees reflected back. Then, it decides how long the main flash needs to be. This all happens in fractions of a second. If it sees reflections like you had in that shot, the main flash isn't going to be long enough, resulting in an underexposed image.

Sometimes, you just can't get a shot that you want (equipment has limitations).

But, shooting at an angle to anything reflective (and avoiding shooting that way at all if possble) will help a lot.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:53 PM   #12

JimC, thanks for the detailed explanation, I'll try shooting at an angle next time.

One more thing, is there a way I can turn off the flash entirely on this type of a camera? Last summer I was taking pictures inside Hearst Castle and they asked us to turn off our flash. I tried to but I couldn't find anything to turn off. On my camera I have flash intensity - strong, normal and weak. Other than that I don't know anything associated with a flash on this camera.
mesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:53 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you shoot into a reflective surface, you'll see reflections (and it will also reflect your flash). ;-)
Jim's is the best all-around answer, although it is possible that if you could get your camera close enough to the glass, and perhaps put a hand edge or piece of black cloth/paper between the flash and the taking lens, that you might be able to prevent light from flashing back from the glass into the lens. Even better :-?, you might try holding the camera lens directly against the glass and see if that helps.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:19 PM   #14
Administrator

mesolo wrote:
Quote:
One more thing, is there a way I can turn off the flash entirely on this type of a camera?
Yes. The down position on your 4 way controller allows you to change between Auto (where the camera decides if light is low enough for flash), Fill Flash (always on), Red Eye Reduction, and No Flash.

But, if you turn it off in low light (and a well lit interior is low light to a camera), you may get blur from camera shake because shutter speeds will be very slow.

You can help out some by staying at the widest zoom setting (your lens loses a lot of light as you zoom in more).

You can also increase ISO speed to help out (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for proper exposure).

Increasing ISO speed will add noise (similar to film grain). So, you may need to use some tools designed to miminize it's appearance.

One you can try is Noiseware

They have a "Community Edition" that's free.

Another good one is Neat Image

They also have a free version (their trial version is free for non-commercial use and doesn't expire).

Make sure you hold the camera as steady as possible, bracing yourself to help avoid camera shake, and smoothly squeeze the shutter button. Controlling your breathing can also help out (take in a deep breath, let it out, and slowly squeeze the shutter button, wating until you hear the camera finish the exposure before releasing it).

A tripod or monopod is probably going to be needed in low light though (and even that won't help with blur from subject movement).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:47 PM   #15

Thanks Jim, I feel like such a dunce! Forgot all about pressing thedown arrow key to turn offthe flash. Sometimes I get so caught up intrying to figure outhow to use the features on the monitor screen I forget about theflash modebuttons, which I rarely use.
mesolo is offline   Reply With Quote