Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 2, 2003, 6:21 PM   #1
bek

Default 5"x7" prints

Hi guys,

I need some help.

I have been asked to shoot and supply 5"x7" photos kids events.

I will be shooting with the canon 10D but don't know what printers to use, I was thinking of the new i950 or could I print 4 5"x7" photos a single A3 sheet?

What is the print time of a 5"x7" on the i950?

What is the quickest way to get the images from the camera to the printer?

Please don't shoot me down for not knowing anything

Thanks so much....Bek.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 6:48 PM   #2

If you are doing a bunch of them, you might want to have them done at a lab. It could turn out to be faster and more cost effective.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 7:17 PM   #3

Taking them to a lab (Wal*Mart?) will be quicker and easier if one is available, though if you are selling them you are likely to make more sales if you can deliver something right there. But you aren't likely to be able to do that unless you have an assitant dealing with printing, downloading from the cards, taking orders for more prints, helping to keep kids in line, ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 7:34 PM   #4
bek

I will need to print them straight away so they can have them before they go home so a lab is out of the question,but I will have someone helping me.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:07 PM   #5

The i950 is a wonderful printer...spits out prints rapidly and they are beautiful (about 37 seconds for a 4X6)...I had one for a couple of days, but found a VERY slight smudge coming out on all of the prints when using thick glossy paper...it's reallyl minor but I'm compulsive and sent it back to Canon...I'm sure that they will fix it or send me a new one.

But for your purpose shouldn't you look for a photo printer that can print (and maybe even photo edit as well) right from the media cards so you don't have to drag a computer along? (Canon S830D will read from media cards...not sure if it will do any editing without a 'puter).
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:46 PM   #6
bek

I looked at the S830D but wouldn't it only be able to print the images 1 at a time, whereas if I had 3 i950's or S900's hooked up to a computer I could print 3 differents images at the same time.

I supose there isn't a card reader that can be hooked up directly to 3 printers???

thanks again.

Rebecca.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:03 PM   #7

I'll have to defer that one...not sure if you can hook a card reader to more than one printer...probably not...

I'm trying to imagine a kid's event where you'd be so busy you'd need three printers!
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:47 PM   #8

Quote:
I supose there isn't a card reader that can be hooked up directly to 3 printers???
Ahm....parallel multitasking. I'm sure you could hook up a laptop (with psu) to a usb hub and address 3 printers assigning different names in 'printer properties'. Might even be able to run a couple of readers as well. Look for the higher speed USB 2 though for laptop and all devices.

But don't forget these printers have zilch memory ('specially Epsons). So you'd need BIG ram for the spooling. But it might be an extensible solution and it sounds like you could be adding more printers!!

I always thought the London Eye was a good business model for raising cash, but an event where the print comes out as quick as you take the shot is something else, a bit like Polaroid! You'll need a few smaller memory cards for this.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:30 PM   #9

Default Printer Help

Bek,

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but I did not see it - were you hooking up to a lapotp? The reason I am asking is you really are going to want to see it on a screen larger than a tiny LCD before you print. Better taking the time up front than spitting it out and finding something wrong. That will waste more time and money.

As stated the i950 is fast and the quality is outstanding. I have the i950 and the Epson 2200 and the prints are comparible. And the Epson is about $400 more. Right now Amazon has the i950 on sale for $222.94 with free shipping to boot. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...B/mjbdesign-20

Hope this helps,
Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:00 PM   #10
bek

I'm having a desktop built specifically for the printers, no internet or other programs, solely for running the printers.

Being in Australia and seeing all these fantastic prices on the i950 just ain't fair, I can't find anyone in America who will ship printers to Australia. The cheapest price here for the i950 is $599 thats about $370 US!!!
So if you know of anyone who does ship printers internationally and paper and ink also please let me know.(inkjetgoodies.com will ship ink and paper).

Rebecca.