Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:56 AM   #1

First time poster and I'm sure this question has been asked and addressed before! Just got my first digital camera and it able to take photos in TIFF format

Question- Is there a free tiff to jpeg converter available for free - downloadable or otherwise -- searched on GOOGLE but most were free for only for 30 days.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks
subran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:48 AM   #2

Just about every camera comes with software for editing and that should be able to save a TIFF as a JPEG, what camera did you end up getting?

If there isn't an option for this then you could try Irfanview. It's a free program with lots of capabilities includingTIF to JPEG and pretty much whatever else you can convert.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Good luck,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:46 AM   #3

Any image converting software should be able to handle the job. Also, why do you feel you have to shoo in TIFF. From my experience, TIFF is just a larger file size than jpeg..yes, is lossless compression, but really doesn't offer the flexibility of RAW...the camera still applies its algorithyms, sharpening etc. TIFF also slows down camera performance considerably. Now it is a good idea to save your images as tiffs as you do lose info when your resave jpegs as jpegs. But for better camera performance, I would just shoot in JPEG.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I got the Minolta S314 (used from EBAY). Editing software (Dimage Viewer) did come with the camera - I did peruse the manual probably need to look at it in detail.

The TIFF files are large and I'm trying to save it in JPEG so it easier to upload.

Thanks again
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5

Again, I don't think there is any benefit to shooting in TIFF. It slows camera performance considerably and will not yield better prints. Why not shoot in JPEG and then convert the finished image to TIFF in computer.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:36 PM   #6

I agree with RJS on using TIFF. The files are much larger and there really isn't a need for this, unless they were RAW. I looked for your Camera model but could'nt find any information on it but I looked at the Dimage 304 and I'm pretty sure they are close. It records in JPG or TIFF. I would assume yours does also and that would give you many more files per card and you won't notice much of a difference, if any at all.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:35 PM   #7

In response to original post, FastStone Photo Resizer is free!

http://www.faststone.org/
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. Kinda new to the digital camera world - was recommended to shoot and save in TIFF (because of betterphoto quality)and then compress to JPEG. Appears now it doesn't make a difference and I should just to shoot in JPEG.

Thanks for the converter links. Also found that the software that came with the camera also has the capability to compress and save in various formats.

Thanks & it been insightful!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:01 PM   #9

I use a converter that is quite great and available for free. It is called Irfanview. It has a great batchmode where you can both convert and rename images in a batch mode--this is incredibly convenient for me as I work with hundred of images that need both renaming and conversion to various file types.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Hope that this helps!
tfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 2:54 AM   #10

you can download this image converter , i am also interested in taking photos, and i always this converter to do the tiff to jepg conversion, i think it's good and not expensive, if you haven't found a better way ,you can have a try.
danny rough is offline   Reply With Quote