Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:15 PM   #1
Ann

Default Which camera to replace 35mm point & shoot for travel?

For years I've used a Pentax with 140mm zoom for travel pix -- 5x7s put into albums. For my first digicam, I'd like a 4x optical zoom but can't find one that's compact and light enough for travel. I have a newbie question: if I buy a 4 megapixel with 3x optical, would that give me the ability to crop my photos and still retain sharpness, sort of compensating for the lack of zoom that I'm used to? I still want to print 5x7s. Second question: is it realistic to think that I can make my own prints (maybe 250 from one trip) using a good printer like the Canon i950? Any help is much appreciated
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:22 AM   #2

Default Re: Which camera to replace 35mm point & shoot for trave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
... if I buy a 4 megapixel with 3x optical, would that give me the ability to crop my photos and still retain sharpness, sort of compensating for the lack of zoom [140mm equiv] that I'm used to? I still want to print 5x7s.
That crop would be the same as shooting with a 2Mpixel camera which most likely will produce just fine 5x7" prints. How large you can print depend on the subject, how it is viewed, and the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
Second question: is it realistic to think that I can make my own prints (maybe 250 from one trip) using a good printer like the Canon i950?
Yes you can, but you should look into getting prints made at (e.g.) Wal*Mart. I haven't priced 5x7" prints there, but their 4x6" are cheaper than the cost of papaer and ink to do it yourself. And that doesn't count the time it takes to print.

If you normally come home with 250 shots with a chemical camera, you should have enough memory to hold at least five times that amount - something like 1.5Gbytes. That seems to be about the minimum multiple folks shoot with digital.

Also keep in mind an old rule: Never go on vacation with a new camera. Learn how to use the camera before you leave - No one wants to spend their evenings in Paris reading a camera manual, or eject the memory card into a swamp, or come back to find you shot everything with a florecent white balance, or ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:54 PM   #3

Bill is, as always, giving you good advice...

I have an i950 and I just love it...I like printing on my own and getting instant feedback and making adjustments...if a friend asks for a print I can just fire it off for him.

But if I were going to run off 250 vacation pics for an album, I would be heading for Wal-Mart...any especially good shots that I wanted to experiment with I could then fool around with using a photo-editor and reprint at home.

With my usual ratio, I'd probably have to fire off 5000 shots to get 250 that I really liked.

stu
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:36 AM   #4

One more vote for having your 250 photos done at a local photoshop. I usually do my own printing an an aging HP930 which produces some really good prints but takes over 4 minutes to do an 8X10.

I took twenty JPEG files on a compact flash card to COSTCO and had them produce 4X6 prints. I picked a variety of colors, macros and landscapes etc just to see how good they printed pics. I am blown away and totally convinced that for bulk printing they are the way to go and at 16 cents yes $.16 per print. You couldn't produce a 4X6 print at that price using your computer and printer. An additional factor to consider is that the COSTCO or similar prints are done on archival quality paper with long lasting dyes.

Yes using my home printer is the way to go with special prints and crops but after that I am now seriously thinking of using a photolab for the prints especially if they are bulk (like 250) .
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:38 AM   #5
Ann

Default Prints

Unfortunately, the price goes WAY up for 5x7s -- $.96 at Walmart and $.69 at Costco. The best price is at Snapfish -- do you know anything about their quality? And Stu, do you have any idea what it costs to print a 4x6 or 5x7 on your i950? I think I read about $.10 in ink plus the paper -- does that sound right? Thanks to all for your help.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 2:22 PM   #6

Ann, I just got the i950 so not sure yet...

A lot depends on the quality paper that you use and where you get it from...so far I'm only using Canon's best paper (Photo Paper Pro) and haven't decided/found the best place to get it from yet...

The 4x6 size sells for $8.95/20 at the Canon site (45 cents apiece) but it's cheaper if you buy 8.5x11 and cut them up or buy them from a different outlet or use other papers...

The ink cartridges (it has six) each cost $11.95 at the Canon site...I have no idea how many prints I can get out of them, and again, they also can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Not much help, I know...I have seen analyses of costs of printing and maybe someone else using a similar printer can be of more assistance...usually it turns out to be a little bit more expensive than using online sites or Costco type stores.

I just like printing my own.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 2:35 PM   #7
Ann

Default To Stu

Thanks, Stu. The paper is $1.00 cheaper at Amazon, with free shipping for orders over $25. Could you let me know how the i950 prints text -- I know it's slow, but I wonder how slow. Thanks again.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 3:14 PM   #8

Ann, I'll have to print some up tonight and let you know...haven't done any text 'cause I still have my old HP printer hooked up and print text on that...saving my i950 for the good stuff! :lol:
Old Apr 10, 2003, 7:57 AM   #9

Ann, I printed up a couple of letters last night...the i950 seemed just a tad slower than my HP 952C...printed about 2 - 3 pages per minute.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 9:56 PM   #10

Default Get two Canon's

Ann,

I am new to this forum, I usually hang out at the dpreview.com forums but someone mentioned this one in there so I though I would come over and say hello.

I have the Canon Powershot S400, which I love. And the Canon i950, which I love.

First the Camera. If you are looking for a point and shoot, and don't need much manual control you can't go wrong with the S400. It is pocket sized (pack of cigarette size) you can take it everywhere every day. I was looking at the Canon G3 but it is too big for the pocket which would be nice if you want it for just once in a while. But with the S400, it comes with me everywhere. It take unbelievable pictures. It has the same CCD as the G3.

If you want to see some samples go to my gallery (just about all my daughter).
http://www.BDesign.MyPhotos.PhotoShare.co.nz

As for the printer, I own the Epson 2200 and wanted to get a secondary printer for text and color thing like web pages, cards, etc. I picked up the Canon i950. SECONDARY!!! This thing prints almost as nice as my $700.00 Epson. The Epson to print out an 8 1/2 by 11 borderless photo takes about 20 minutes if you set it on the highest quality print setting. The Canon i950 for the same print takes (get this) 2 minutes and 5 seconds! It is a great printer.

As Stu said it would take him 5000 shots to get 250 he really liked. That being said you might not even have 250 that you want to print or have printed. But let's say you do. For not much more you can have the printer and then with you new camera you can print shots whenever you want. Have the fun of a digital camera is the instant gratification of printing your own shots.

That is just my 2 cents. Let us know what you do.

Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote