Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 4, 2003, 4:52 AM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix 5700 vs Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi

I need help in choosing between 5700 and Minolta 7Hi.

From many of the comments in the forum, it seems that Nikon 5700 has problems with low lighting condition and auto focus is too slow.

Image quality is top most important to me, followed by Zoom. The camera will be used heavily when I travel around. Hence a well rounded camera is very helpful here - landscape, portrait, nightshots, abit of action shots of the kids...

Appreciate if you could share some experience here 8)
wahlao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:49 PM   #2

I owned the CP5700 - but not for a long time. Today months later I would go for the Minolta 7hi. The Nikon pics quality is slightly better, but you have to take your big glasses on to see the difference. Buy the Minolta and dont be sorry for at slow zoom, slow focus, bad and unsharp lowlight shots...a.s. o.

It's my experiences - take it or leave it.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 2:30 AM   #3

Thanks Klaus.

I checked with Nikon Singapore regarding the slow focus. Aparently this happens when the user zoom beyond 4x zoom or under low light condition.

Q1: How is the AF for 7Hi under low light condition ?

Q2: Do you use the 1 Gb Microdrive ? If yes, how is the performance ? Is it reliable ? The worry is if it is corrupted, you will loose that 1Gb of data Perhaps better to get 2 512 CF I ??
wahlao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:27 AM   #4

Regarding the first question - the focus in low light is much better on the minolta because it has manual focus also. It is'nt the best manual focussystem though, but certainly better than the "manual" focus on CP5700. You could raise this question in the Minolta forum.
I've only tried this a couple of times, and find it as described above.

(Dont ask Nikon about their own cameras - I dont think you will get an honest answer after all...but maybe I'm paranoid )

I've NEVER (knock knock knock) had any problem what so ever with CF cards, so I cant tell you much here. But with my recent camera Nikon D100 I use two 512MB High Speed Cards and some smaller "left over" cards from my earlier digicams. The reason why I did'nt buy an 1 GB CF is - as you mentioned - the worry of loosing all data if it get corrupted. I shoot RAW (almost never Jpeg) and on a 512MB I can only store 50 shots - you have to take this in consideration also when buying.
I recommend the Minolta (and if you noticed I have owned and own
several Nikon cameras. I like Nikon - but it's important not to stick to a brand just because...! Buying a digicam in the high-end prosumer class as you are going to do - I'd go for the Minolta.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask more about the CP5700 if you like. If you go to my gallery listed down under and look at Denmark (only shot with CP5000 and 5700) and especially England (all shots with CP5700) you will get a hint of what this camera - also - is capable of!

Regards Klaus
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote