Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 5, 2003, 2:47 AM   #1

Default Have vacation pics on cards--now what???

This is the first time I have transferred my pictures from camera to computer. Am not sure what to do now as the software comes with no real instructions. Have heard that I am to save the pics at tiff files and not jpeg files so as not to lose quality. Can I just look at the pics (without touching them up) and still close them in jpeg w/o losing the quality? Don't want to tie up memory with a larger tiff file if jpeg is fine for just viewing. Can I put the pics on CD and then pull them up for touch up work, or are they only accessible for viewing once they are burned onto a CD?

I am using the Microsoft Picture It! software that came with the computer as I had problems with the Dimage software that came with my 7i. I will look into a different software program when I can afford it, but for now, I just want to be able to enjoy the pics without damaging the quality of them. I want to be able to send pics on the web and have some printed out at Costco and have no idea how to go about this. Stupid me, I thought the information would be included with the camera/software. Anyone have a suggestion on a book for explaining all of these things to a newbie? I am anxious to play with my vacation pics!
DigiNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 4:58 AM   #2

Sounds like you are just starting and need to learn from the bottom up. There are a number of web sites which will give you basic info if you search with Google, but actually searching this section of the Forum will turn up good advice and links.

If you need to make an easy start, why not take your 'digital film' to Walmart/Costco and get some prints made? The darkroom editing is a fascinating world to learn for digital, but you need to overcome some initial frustration first, by getting a result. You will be able to select which prints you want done.

At the moment think about using one of the higher quality JPEG modes. Which make picture files no bigger than 1-2 Mbytes. You're going to be running handicapped as a Newbie if you start shooting TIFF files from the start. Transfer your original cam. pics( possibly renamed and file locked) to your PC. BUT always do edit work on copies.

You have a very good camera that offers a lot more than point and shoot, but more to learn as well Try to stick with the auto point and shoot features first then experiment and learn what auto doesn't do well.

Before branching out into other software options to try, I'd post some questions on the Minolta section for help in getting your DiMage software and utilities properly installed. I'll bet the 'information' you need is in the help pages, once you have installed the software.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:17 AM   #3
NHL

Quote:
This is the first time I have transferred my pictures from camera to computer. Am not sure what to do now as the software comes with no real instructions. Have heard that I am to save the pics at tiff files and not jpeg files so as not to lose quality. Can I just look at the pics (without touching them up) and still close them in jpeg w/o losing the quality? Don't want to tie up memory with a larger tiff file if jpeg is fine for just viewing. Can I put the pics on CD and then pull them up for touch up work, or are they only accessible for viewing once they are burned onto a CD?
First there's not much of a discernable difference between tiff(super-fine) and jpeg(fine) in the D7's.
Secondly 'looking' at jpegs does not degrade its quality or copying (ie it's the same bit for bit), therefore do back-up on the original jpegs from the camera. It only degrades when you save after viewing, that's when the computer tries to compress the file over again!

Thirdly the best quality from the camera is not tiff, but raw. The raw(9.4Mb) files are actually smaller than tiff(14.1Mb) and preserve the full 12-bit from color from the camera! Most tiff files are encoded with only 8-bit color after the camera has round off the 12-bit resolution from the CCD!ops: This will save you room for more pictures on the cards as well as leaving you more leeway to undo your mistake @ the PC!

I have Microsoft Picture-It as well, this is an incredibly easy SW to use, and don't hesitate to ask for help on Minolta's DIVU either... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 3:16 PM   #4

As NHL says, SAVE THE ORIGINALS unaltered in any way, not rotation, no format change, no change of any kind. Cut them onto CD and/or set the system flag to read-only. Those are your digital negatives, don't mess with them.

A bit repedative, but that is the single most important thing for a beginner to so with their photos. If that is done, you have the originals so you can go back and undo any/all of the beginner's mistakes everyone will make. Since you can undo them, you don't have to worry about making them as you learn.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote