Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:23 PM   #1

I've been reading a digital photography book in hopes of learning more of my manual settings. I've been the queen of autoand the scene assist buttons. LOL!!! I was trying to practiceshallow depth of field, but I can't get it. Is it possible to achieve a shallow depth of field with the Canon S2? If so can someone please give me some pointers. I really like the look of the background being out of focus.
ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:46 PM   #2

Stock answer, fully open aperture, longest focal length and as close as possible too your subject.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:53 PM   #3

I am not familiar with the camera, but, in general, the zoom cameras have a wide angle macro setting which allows close focus. By using this setting for portraits, etc. you should be able to achieve an out-of-focus background quite readily. I have read some camera reviews in which the reviewer apparently did not understand that this is how the cameras could be used, and complained that the wide macro function was nearly useless. Oh, well.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:09 AM   #4

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I am not familiar with the camera, but, in general, the zoom cameras have a wide angle macro setting which allows close focus. By using this setting for portraits, etc. you should be able to achieve an out-of-focus background quite readily. I have read some camera reviews in which the reviewer apparently did not understand that this is how the cameras could be used, and complained that the wide macro function was nearly useless. Oh, well.

brian
I would hate too think what the perspective distortion would be if taking a portrait. That would be one sure way of losing your lady friend
Old Mar 27, 2006, 8:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Stock answer, fully open aperture, longest focal length and as close as possible too your subject.
When you say longest focal length, do you mean zoomed all the way out?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:26 PM   #6

Oh yes . Then get as close as possible, consistant with a good shot.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:42 PM   #7

Short answer, no you cannot blur the backround as much as with an SLR. Geriactrics stock answer is right, zoom in and get close with large aperture, but this wont work as well when your subject is large (like a car) since you cant get very close.

If your subject is small and you can get quite close, you should get passable results.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:51 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your help, it has helped a lot! :-)

Cindi