Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:04 AM   #11

Grant,

Thank you. I now better understand what you are talking about.

How about anotherquestions on settings. One of the previous photo experts that wrote back said that action shot range for 1/500 to 1/4000.

So if someone was playing baseball ball and runningacross the the field, I should grab them at 1/1000 and if they were running towards me get them at 1/250.

Would this be the same for a bike ride which requires move movement?

picture_novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:49 PM   #12

picture_novice wrote: So if someone was playing baseball ball and runningacross the the field, I should grab them at 1/1000 and if they were running towards me get them at 1/250.

Would this be the same for a bike ride which requires move movement?

The principle is the same, but I can't recommend specific shutter speeds. If you want some general guidelines about shutter speeds for various types of action, check out some web sites that discuss photographing the activities that you are interested in and look at the Action Shots thread in Steve's Forums.

Sometimes you may not want to use a high enough shutter speed to completely freeze the motion. With a subject moving across the frame, you can shoot at a slower speed -- like 1/125 second or lower -- and pan the camera in the same direction as the subject is moving as you press the shutter release. This will give a motion blur to the background while keeping the subject fairly sharp. This effect is widely used to give a more dramatic sense of speed to the subject than if you shot at a higher speed and just stopped everything.

Look at what other photographers are doing with the subjects that you are interested in, try your own experiments and you will quickly find out what works for you and what does not. Another good thing about shooting digital is that the camera records all the settings that you used to make each shot. Look at this EXIF data along with your pictures on the computer and you will learn faster what works for you and what is not.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote