Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:14 PM   #1

Here are two photos. Both taken on Macro basically at the same time. Why is one blurred and one OK? When I look in properties the statistics both show at ISO 64, but Exposure, Shutter, F-Stop and Aper are different. In the clear photo the focal length was 16.70 and in the blurred photo 38.60. I'm a bit mixed up. I thought the blurring might be from being too close. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:43 PM   #2
rey

Yeah it looks like you were too close to the subject.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:54 PM   #3

It looks like your camera didn't focus.

It may be that you're too close, it may be that it can focus a lot closer at a wider angle (less zoom, smaller focal length). Or it could be that somehow it focussed on something else (though I can't see what). If you're not using autofocus, that could obviously do it too! Camera details on what you're using may help diagnose things.
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:03 PM   #4

It would be easier if you hadn't stripped the EXIF from your image.

Since the image was in focus at a wider angle you were probably too close to focus zoomed out. Most cameras capture their smallest area at wide angle and the closest focus distance increases quite a bit as you zoom. My little camera focuses to 4 inches at wide but that goes to 20 inches at 3X. That is fairly typical.

Your manual probably gives the closest focus distance at both wide and telephoto.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5

Thank you both. The manual says wide angle 3.9 in - 6.6 ft and Telephoto 3.0 ft to 6.6 ft. I honestly didn't know about that. I thought I just zoomed and clicked. I think I was lucky in that some of my photos worked. I am going to write some of this stuff down to take with me - as the memory isn't what it used to be. Also, how do I post or attach the EXIF. As you can tell I am REALLY new at all this. Thanks.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:49 AM   #6

If you are using Photoshop or something similar, there are usually two ways to save a picture - 'Save As' and 'Save for Web'. The 'Save for Web' command strips the Exif data in the interest of saving space and possibly protecting your privacy somewhat. So, to retain the Exif data, use 'Save As'. and do any resizing necessary before saving.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:39 AM   #7

shot is out of focus

jst judging by the size of the subject it doest look like u are too close as any cam should be able to focus from thsi distance.

was the cam set to the widest angle?

Did u half press the shtter and give cam time to focus?

Did you have the camin macro mode?

Did you adjust anything in the manual modes?

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:04 AM   #8

Most (all?) digicams have a focus indicator of some kind - typically something flashing until focus lock is achived. Take a look at your camera manual for information on that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:19 AM   #9

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Most (all?) digicams have a focus indicator of some kind - typically something flashing until focus lock is achived. Take a look at your camera manual for information on that.
This is good advice. I would just add one other "gotcha": when you take a macro (or a tele shot, for that matter), it is easy to get a blurry shot after the camera has indicated that it has achieved focus. The reason for that is usually because you are not using a tripod. In the macro mode, you may move closer or further away after focusing without realizing it (focus can have quite limited DOF in macro) or (and a tripod won't help here) the wind may move the flower out of focus before you get around to pressing the shutter the rest of the way. With tele, the problem is often that you just can't hold still enough to keep from adding blur to the image -- the focal distance isn't changing in that case, but the angle subtended by each pixel in sharp focus is very small, so very little motion on your part will show up as bad focus.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote