Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:41 PM   #1

Default Cropping Help - I get loss of resolution!

Hi Everyone,
I am using Photoshop 6.01 and am mostly making 4x6 boarderless photos. The problem is when I look at my file at 100% there is great detail. I'm shooting at 2272 x 1704 Superfine resolution JPG. It's a Cannon S400.

When I use Photoshop, which is new to me, I look at the photo and hold down the shift key which allows for me to maintain the aspect ratio set above in the little boxes: 4"x6"

Every time I crop an image I end up with terrible resolution. What am I doing wrong? I only have a 3x Optical Zoom and will need to be cropping images to make sections larger on printouts.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,
Matt
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:48 AM   #2

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Nothing, that's what happens. You can only blow-up a digital image so much before something gives.

Try Genuine Fractals to crop with. It's a PS plug-in and works much better than the built in ones.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:48 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate your kind comments. I missed it the first time I read your response, I'll look into the Fractal plug in.

Matt
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:48 PM   #4

You are wrong, in Photoshop >Image>Size uncheck resample and change resolution to 300ppi , then if you want to change size leave the resample unchecked and check the constrain proportions box, to change size just enter a new size in either the heigh or width side the other wil be sized to fit .
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote