Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:16 AM   #11

rey wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
My other question is this: Are the markings or notches on the polarizer supposed to line up with the angle of the sunlight or are they delineating the axis at which the polarization is strongest, meaning the markings should be lined up at 90 degree angle to the sun.
I'm new to DSLR so this question might not make sense, why are you using a linear polarizer? I thought for dSLR you have to use circular polarizer, otherwise metering and focusing gets all messed up?

I have had the linear polarizer before. I had gotten it for my Panasonic FZ30 which I still use. So I tried it on the KM5D and it worked. I know that cirular is recommended, but if the focusing works (or I can use manual focus since most of the subjects I am going to shoot with the polarizer are stationary anyway, such as landscaptes), why spend more money. On the other hand, I will need to get a couple of CP's for the different lens filter sizes that I now have. Will post some comparisons when I have them.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:13 PM   #12

mdrums You get the best sky/cloud contrast when it is the darkest. You are getting no polarizing effect at all when it is lightest.

If you boat you surely have polarized sunglasses. Tilt your head until you get the best effect from the glasses and set the polarizer at the same angle.

I find it so easy to select the sky in Photoshop and get whatever effect I want that I don't use a polarizer much anymore except for reflections. It does a nice job on the water sometimes.

I don't find that stabilization helps much for boat motion. You would probably do best turning it off for panning with the fighters.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:41 AM   #13

I did much better today with out the polarizer and being on stable ground helped.
Attached Images

mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:43 AM   #14

Here is a shot from the St. Pete Grand Prix...again no polarizer and no photoshop just a quick crop and downsize.
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:44 AM   #15

Here is the pole sitter for todays Indy race...Dario Franchetti
Attached Images

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:29 PM   #16

News Flash! My linear polarizer works perfectly fine on my KM Maxxum 5D. The camera focuses swiftly and accurately with it. So, I see no need to get a circular one, regardless of what people might say.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:51 AM   #17

Thanks to your 'thumb-pointer finger' rule, I was able to pull the rainbow out of the mist at Niagara Falls with my circular polarizer.
Attached Images

Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:11 PM   #18

Very nice photo - love the rainbow.

On the subject of the jets and racecars and polarizers- you do lose a certain amount of light so your shutter speed would have to be slower to compensate. Probably better to not to use one with such high speed subjects, unless you have a really fast lens (and then you lose DOF - sounds like too many compromises to me). I think I heard you lose one or 2 stops but I don't really know. I suppose you would lose more with a linear polarizer than you would with a circular - the one experience I've had comparing the two, the linear was darker than the circular (though the CP I had was a poor one).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:48 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Linear polarizers only affect some through the lens auto focus systems, not metering sytems. I have an old one that works very well with my Pentax *ist DS and a 50 mm 1.7 lens, a manual focus lens.

When I was first asking about a polarizer, someone told me to have the sun off my shoulder for getting maximum effect. That works out to the same 90 degrees from the sun, but is easier for me to use that as a quick reference when I'm actually taking pictures.

I like this method. It sound simple/easier .. or Can I use view finder to turn this CP filter till no more glaringmeaning Ialready got maximum 90 degress from the sun ?
thumbs_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 1:08 PM   #20

Yes, you want to point the camera at a reflective surface, such as a car windshield and rotate it to the point where you get the least reflection, or point it at the sky and rotate it until you have the darkest, richest blue tone. That way you adjust the polarizer to its maximum effectiveness.