Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:00 PM   #1

I bought a Nikon Coolpix P1 yesterday and have been playing around with it. It's a cool little camera, but I have a couple complaints and I wonder if an expert here can make feel more comfortable about my purchase.

1. The shutter delay is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING! This is my first digital camera,so I have been researching this situation on the Internet for a while today and figured out there may be a solution. Utilizing the "Continuous Mode" or the "Best Shot Selection (BSS)" feature may help. I have to playaround with that to see if it helps. Does anyone else have any experience with this problem and if so, what do you do about it?

2. WhydidNikon do away with theviewfinder? It didn't bug me so much at first, until I read today that the LCD display is the biggest user of battery power ofthe entire camera. If that is true, why would Nikon take away the option of turning it off?

THANKS!
Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Set the auto focus mode to continuous (C-AF), it will use more battery power but it will be ready to shoot with the focus locked the fastest.

The optical viewfinder is fast going away with the vast number of buyers prefering to do everything on a color screen at arm's length. The trend now is a gigantic size LCD and the smallest possible camera -thisleaves little orno room for anoptical viewfinder.Optical finderssave batterypower and let you see what you're framing better outdoors in bright light. The problem is that the same people that engineer a digicam also engineer iPods and don't know diddly about real cameras. There are a few good LCD screens out there but most are pitifully inadequate in the bright sun light.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:26 AM   #3

I agree, the big LCD is a better marketing tool than an optical viewfinder even if it doesn't work well in bright light.An LCD alsomakes the user hold the camera at arm's length thus increasing shake.

Another reason the optical viewfinder is missing in many digicams is parallax. Once the focal length gets much beyond something like 80mm (equiv), it is difficult to make the veiwfinder line up with the image on the sensor. If the viewfinder adjusts with focal length, it costs to build the adjustment mechanism. If it doesn't adjust, it won't line up for all focal lengths. Solution: get rid of the optical viewfinder.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:28 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies.

I have the option of returning this camera I bought, and I wonder if it would be a smart decision toexchange it for a camera with an opticalviewfinder as well as an LCD screen. I'm considering it.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am a NEWBIE, and I don't quite understandBillDrew's parallax explanation. Do you recommend using a camera with or without an optical viewfinder?

Thanks so much for your help!
Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:54 AM   #5
E.T

Godiva wrote:
Quote:
I have the option of returning this camera I bought, and I wonder if it would be a smart decision to¬*exchange it for a camera with an optical¬*viewfinder as well as an LCD screen.¬* I'm considering it.
That's up to you, if it bothers you change camera.
Myself I would definitely won't viewfinder, just much stabler photographing position would be good enough reason.

Here's more about viewfinders, including parallax error
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=viewfinder
http://www.stsite.com/camera/cam10.php

steve wrote:
Quote:
The trend now is a gigantic size LCD and the smallest possible camera -¬*this¬*leaves little or¬*no room for an¬*optical viewfinder.
You forget that those big LCDs have still very low resolutions.

And even small LCD is prone to collect dirt and fingerprints so just think what kind dirt and scratch magnet it becomes when it fills camera's whole back side.

Quote:
The problem is that the same people that engineer a digicam also engineer iPods and don't know diddly about real cameras.
And if they can't screw up the job then marketing clowns give their helpfull hand!
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:19 AM   #6

Godiva wrote:
Quote:
... Forgive my ignorance, but I am a NEWBIE, and I don't quite understandBillDrew's parallax explanation. Do you recommend using a camera with or without an optical viewfinder? ...
Parallax means that the optical viewfinder doesn't line up with the image the sensor sees. If you go into a shop to try a different digicam, set it on the longest focal length and shoot something fairly close with a horizontalfeature (shelf, counter edge, ...)at the bottom of the image as seen through the viewfinder. Then look at the preview. Almost certainly you will see that the shelf/whatever isn't in the same place.

I like the optical viewfinder, in particular for low light, non flashshots. The camera is much more stable held against your face than it is at arm's length. With a bit of practice, you can learn to adjust fairly well for parallax. And/or overshoot the scene planning to crop later.

Parallax is mainly a problem with long focal lengths at a close distance. If you are not shooting that way very much, it shouldn't be much ofa problem.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:49 PM   #7

Talking about this nikon P1 I have just bought one and I don't know if anyone else has had the same crap video as I seem to be getting I would be interested to know .Before this I had a Fuji E550 and the video was quite acceptable I had a bit of trouble with MJPEG to start with with jerky shots but once I installed an MJPEG codec on the computer it took some really good video . But on the P1 the edges of diagonal lines are jagged and if you move the camera they sort of shimmer perhaps thats to do with it being MOV format.Also in sunny beachy situations the exposure seems to alter whilst filming,seems to be with the sea in shot so I don't know if reflections cause it. It would be good if it was possible to lock the exposure when filming.Appart from all this the still pictures it takes are good but I don't think they are any better than the E550 . Come back E550 all is forgiven .Had to get a refund 10 months in due to lines on pictures but I think thats well documented.
johnevans4 is offline   Reply With Quote