Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye12
man, you guys are the kings of the little toy cameras............an "A70"................hahahahaha
Removed after cooling down

If you aren't going to write anything helpful for the problem at hand, don't. It's a waste of space for Steve and a waste of time for those who read this thread.

I'm sure you have a very good, "non-toy" camera. Unfortunately not all of us can afford such an high-end piece of tech. Also not all of us are photo experts and just want a straigh poin'n'shoot or something to learn.

A LOT of people that comes to these foruns are beginners, wanting to learn. I was one. This particular forum is a NEWBIE forum.
I learnt a lot of things but I still consider myself an starting amateur, whishing to learn and the the people who frequent these foruns have been most excellent teachers, to whom I'm very grateful.

If you have some knowledge to share, by all means do! Just don't mock beginners or people on a tight budget, you were a beginner once and you might not always have the funds you want for something at your disposal.

Peace.
Carlos Duarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maafbh

- I guess know what a "shutter speed" is. Its the speed of the actual mechanism that "opens and closes" so the light and photographed image can "enter" the camera to sensibilize the CCD, right?? less light, you need more speed, more light or moving targets, you need less speed. But i really dont know how to interpret these " 15 - 1/2000 sec"....
Yes, altough your phrasing could lead to confusion. eheheheh For moving targets, the faster the lens, the better. For low light, the more exposure time, the better.

Quote:
Does it means the shutter speed ranges from 15 seconds of being open to 0,0005 seconds (or 1/2000 of a sec)?????
Correct.

Quote:
In that case, which one should be better: a 1/2000, a 1/1500 or a 2/1000???? Sorry, this is really ancient greek to me....
A 1/2000. Just do the math

Quote:
Question 2: what is an "Aperture"?? and how do i interpret, what can i understand from a "f2.8/8.0" information? what does that means in pratical terms.... You said "The wider the available aperture range, the better. ", so I supose the number after the "/" should be bigger in that case....
In short, depth of field. The lower the number, the more depth of field you'll get. The aperture relates to the AMOUNT of light the lens let's into the camera.

A good, if long, explanation is on:

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
Carlos Duarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:09 PM   #13

You should look at the low light capability of the camera, keeping in mind that the amount of light needed to read is low light in any camera in the price range you are talking about.

Focus is one issue, another is the flash - you will want to use it and all built in flash units are junk. To be built in it has to be small (glare), close to the lens (red eye), low power (use the same battery as the camera), and slow to "recharge" (same battery as camera and is "recharging" at the same time as the camera is using a lot of current).

So I'd suggest looking for a camera that supports an external flash unit. Those cameras tend to be the ones with all kinds of other bells & whistles, but they will work well in point-and-shoot mode.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:27 PM   #14
lg

The C-2100 has excellent low-light capabilities and a focus assist lamp as well. It is easy to use and takes excellent pictures. You may want to consider trying to find one of them on eBay. I didn't see a price range posted above, but perhaps I missed it.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:06 AM   #15

Se vc não comprou ainda, compre uma S-50....Abraço.

If you haven't bought yet, get a s-50 from canon.... Regards.

Silverman
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote