Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 11, 2003, 1:36 PM   #1

Default Question about "megapixel" rating

Hi all....

my question is pretty basic:

I worried about preserving the best quality when printing my digital pictures at a lab to the default 10x15 cm (inches???) size. What megapixel should i go for??

I want the same quality as i get on my non-digital camera.

Not worried about cropping parts of images, or printing over-sizes. Just the regular default size.

4, 3 or 2 megapixel will do fine??

thanks!

marcelo
maafbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2003, 2:35 PM   #2

4MP will be enough to give you a pretty good 8x10, and sometimes larger.
2&3 MP cameras will give you some good pics as well, but if you are already thinking 4MP, then get the 4MP camera.
i have a Canon D60 (6MP) and have printed some excellent 8x10"s after cropping some of the image to fit.
i also have a Minolta S414 that i have printed 8x10's straight from the camera that turned out great.

if you only want to print out no larger than 5x7's, then a 3MP will do fine, but for the cost of a 4MP digital these days, it makes no sense to get less than 4.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 3:21 PM   #3

4 MPixel??? Are u sure???!! For a 10x15 cm printed pic??

I've been told in other places that anything over 2megapixel will be discarded for that size, so i'm confused now...

I guess 8x10 inches would be more than 20x24 cm... which is waay bigger than the default 10x15cm size here in brazil.

anyone have any idea?

thanks!

marcelo
Old Apr 11, 2003, 3:30 PM   #4

Though 4mp may be much larger than you need, the extra mp will give you lots of room to crop. Also, just remember, you never know when you will take a really great shot and want it blown up to 8x10 or larger and with 2mp you will be stuck.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:00 PM   #5

10 cm X 15 cm (4X6 in) pictures can be produced with a 2mp camera, but as Ardvark50 points out more mp provides more room for cropping and larger print size.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:45 PM   #6

thank you, folks!

i guess i'll go for the more afordable 2megapixel camera, which will allow me to expend some cash on a bigger memory card.

i'm not actually a big fan of blow ups or cropping images to certain areas. more of an ordinary kind of guy here... ;-)

thanks a lot for the input!

PEACE

marcelo
Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:52 PM   #7

well don't blame us if the 4x6's lack film like detail.
why someone above even suggests to use a 2MP for what you want to do is beyond me, as prices for a really good 4MP camera are about the same as a 2MP.
the thing is, you want to have more than you need, not just enough.................take this warning in heed, but going for a 2MP camera is like buy a volkswagon to pull a trailer.
Old Apr 12, 2003, 12:21 AM   #8

wait a minute.....

i've been told lots of times that for the 4x6 default print size, 2 megapixel cameras are well enough, and that anything over that is discarded information.

isnt that true??

well, i dont agree that "prices for 4MP camera are about the same as a 2MP"... at least not on the online sites i'm checking. the difference is about 150 U$.

;-)

marcelo
Old Apr 12, 2003, 2:22 AM   #9

I'm going to suggest cutting through to the middle and getting a 3mp digicam.

Nowadays it seems that everyone and their mother is releasing 4-5mp cameras in their latest lineups. (Except for Panasonic who is releasing a 2mp!) I'm with you on this one, it's all overkill. Yeah, cropping, enlargements, blah blah blah, I just want to replace my aging APS camera!

What you don't want is something to turn out like this:

With a 2mp camera and 4x6 prints you won't run into that problem. And you won't run into it with anything bigger than 2mp either.

So why the 3mp suggestion if 2 seems to be enough? Well, as these 4-5mp cameras are brought to market, the only slightly older 3mps are bound to fall in price. So by paying a little more for the 3mp, you will get a camera with better image resolution than the 2mp, and possibly better image quality because the imaging technology hasn't sat still for the past year.

The key to preserving image quality at the photo processing lab is to have quality images in the first place. In general, today's technology will have better quality pixels than yesterday's. The newer the camera you are looking at, the more mature the technology in it is going to be (generalizing, of course). Buying a 2mp now may leave you with an imaging sensor that has good enough resolution, but low image quality. Perhaps the colors will be washed out or the contrasts too strong or tons of artifacts. You can't tell what is going to come out of a camera just by looking at the specs. Take a look at the images here at Steve's site, especially ones like the 'red roof' where the sky is contrasted against a red roof. It's looking at the images that will tell you what to expect from the lab.

Remember, it's pixel quality, not pixel resolution that ultimately matters for the casual user.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 6:25 AM   #10

which 3MP would you suggest Lauren?