Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1

I have a canon A85 and love except for the fact-I cannot take good pics at night !! Anywhere there are a lot of lights or even a pool with lights around etc.Everything is all blurry.I am using the night scene with flash,obviously that's not right.I have read the book cover to cover is it something manual I should be doing?? help
carrottop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2

carrottop-

You have to read the fine print in the A-85 Instruction Manual. All Night Mode photos have to be taken using either a tripod or a substitute tripod like a table, a wall, a ledge etc that will allow the photo to be taken with no camera movement at all.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3

Does it only do that when there lights around?? because I have taken pics after dark of people on the deck and they are clear.While we were away on holidays I took a few pics of the pool at night with beautiful lights and you can't even tell what it is.I have seen other pics that are very clear-do you mean everyone carries a tripod with them for that reason??
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:07 PM   #4
Administrator

What's bright to the human eye, is not bright to a camera's lens.

For photos of people in darker conditions, your best bet is to forget the night scene mode, unless almost all of the light is directly behind your subjects and they are in shadows.

This type of scene mode is designed to be used with the camera on a tripod, with most of the light coming from behind your subjects (as in a cityscape), so that ambient light is not going to expose your subjects when the shutter is open long enough to expose the background.

Then, it fires the flash at the end of the exposure to illuminate the foreground subjects.

But, if enough light hits your subjects to expose them from sources other than the flash, you'll see motion blur from subject movement, even if you do use a tripod (which you would want to use in this mode, since the backgrounds would be blurry if you didn't use a tripod).

Forget the night scene mode and just use one of the standard (for example, Auto) modes with flash so that the shutter is not open for as long, making sure you stay within the rated flash range. Your backgrounds will be darker. But, you won't have the problem with blur from camera shake and subject movement.

If you want to use the night scene mode, make sure to use a tripod and tell your subjects to be absolutely still.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:11 PM   #5

Thanks that helps- I just get so discouraged trying to take these beautiful pics and you can't even recognize what it is.!! I have taken pics of people at night with just the flash,but it seems when there are light around the object it's all blurry and distorted.I can't imagine having to use a tripod all the time.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6

As an extra thought - it does depend on what you are photographing.

If you want pics of your friends standing around a bar at night, then you need to use the flash.

If you are taking pics of scenery at night (a city skyline perhaps) then a different technique is called for.

You will need to put your camera into manual mode. Get a long shutter speed (at least 10 seconds), and then place your camera on something solid - a tripod if you have one. IThen use the self timer on the camera, set the scene, start the timer, and then don't touch your camera until it has completed it's exposure.

Should get good results. I've done this countless times. Usually without a tripod at all. There's always something solid you can prop your camera on.
dazp1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:42 PM   #7

dazp1970 wrote:
Quote:
There's always something solid you can prop your camera on.
I wish! :roll:

For this particular shot though, there was a suitable concrete wall to keep the camera steady during the component images. Exposure 4 seconds, f/3.3, ISO 400, full manual exposure, focus preset at infinity, white balance preset to tungsten. Even cameras without special manual focus capability usually have some way of manually setting the focus at infinity. This particular image was stitched together from two component images, which is one reason I went with full manual exposure and white balance.

This wasn't taken with a Canon A85 but it could have been. Framing the shot in the viewfinder may have been a problem without an articulated LCD monitor.
Attached Images

scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:25 PM   #8

Thanks so much-that helps and that's a beautiful pic. Do you see where the street lights are? well with mine that would be all distorted sort of like zigzag and thats with using the flash.I'll try the manual next time.Thanks again
Old Apr 17, 2006, 6:19 AM   #9

carrottop

the zig zag u mention is the movement of camera, u may not think its moving but it is, and flash would never have got that picture as its beyond its range

here is one of mine with no flash on tripod which is a must (not an option) for night shoots

posted same shot in reply to someone who heard that e-300 wasnt that good at low light shots

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote