Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 12, 2003, 9:02 AM   #1

Default Best Pocket 3+ meg camera Olympus-Canon-Sony?

This is my first digital camera purchase. My friend just bought the olympus metal body, weather proof 300, 3.2meg pocket camera. It is very nice but as I have been looking I found the canonG3 which has received good reviews. I also looked at the sony pocket cameras. What would be a better feature to have small size or more features and a larger lens? Do these small cameras have the same detail and sharpness as the larger cameras? Any advice on what camera brand or model to buy? Thanks
blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2003, 6:26 PM   #2

I own a Canon Powershot S230 3.2 megapixel camera, and had an earlier version (s100) for a couple of years.

It's very lightweight and compact and takes excellent photos - I have no problem with printing 5x7's or even 8x10's, and it even takes movies of up to 3 minutes. (My older son is a camera buff and owns the more elaborate Canon G2 which can take up to 30 seconds of movies, but he was impressed enough with my new S230's movies that he's now disappointed with his G2 )

I was looking to replace my earlier S100 last fall, but when I went to look at cameras in stores, most of them looked big and klunky to me. Fortunately, Canon had just announced the S230, so I waited a month and had my little S230 before Thanksgiving.

I'm delighted with it, and would highly recommend it. Here's the web page: http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s230/index.html
Good things come in small packages! 3.4 x 2.2 x 1.1 in, 6.4 oz
Granny_Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 2:54 PM   #3

Well, you have to ask yourself this question. Will you take the camera with you if it's too big to put in your pocket. I personally would go with the g3 or the oly c5050 as they are the top of the food chain or close to it in digicams, but if you won't take them with you, you've just dished out 700 for a paperweight. I'd look into the canon s45/50 because the s45/50 are pretty much as capable as the g3, compact and with an adapter from ckcpower.com can take add-on lenses.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 9:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the ideas. I was looking at c.c. and best buy tonight and found info on the new sony p-10 and the V1 cameras coming out in May. They have a night focus which averages the focus point from 4-5 places on the image. It also tracks a moving object correcting the focus as the object moves. Their memory is a new type that goes up to 1 gig. They seem to be nice cameras from what I have been told and read here in Steves reviews.

Are sony cameras as good as a canon or olympus? I have owned both canon and olympus 35mm cameras and liked them both. Sony seems to dabble in everything are their cameras OK.
I like the g3 too but these new sonys sound pretty good.

Thanks
blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:08 AM   #5

The new memory format is memory stick pro. But you must realize that it will for the most part be used only by sony and made by less than a handful of manufacturers which means high prices, and after the regular memory stick and sony's actions in their non digicam businesses, I doubt the card will get much bigger than one gig until they are absolutely forced to make larger cards (as you can tell, I am not a fan of anything sony for several various reasons). As to are they as good, depends on who you ask. The oly users will say oly is best, canon will say get the g3 or s45/50 and sony's users will say go for sony. I suggest you go down to your electronics store when the new sonys come out and try them out to see how they stack up to the competition. I'd also suggest that you buy at a place that has a trial period for merchandise in case your first impressions with the camera prove incorrect.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:40 AM   #6

I have a few questions for you to consider. (I'm not asking you to post any answers - just thought I'd play 'devil's advocate' a bit!).

How much do you want to spend? And how do you intend to use the camera? Will you primarily use it as an autofocus, point 'n' shoot camera, or are you the type of photographer who wants to manually control all the settings? How often do you expect to be printing your photos, and how often will you be sharing them with others via the Web or via email?

Do you really need more than 3 megpixels? Some of my friends and family have cameras with 4 or 5 megapixels and they tell me that they often wind up reducing the resolution on their photos because the file sizes are inconvenient for sharing the photos via the Web or email, and the higher resolution doesn't make a lot of difference for viewing the photos on a computer screen.

How much memory do you need on a memory card? Canon's web site says that my 3.2 megapixel camera can store about 150 photos (large/superfine) on a 256MB compact flash card (and over 500 photos as large/normal). My camera's battery will last about an hour of continuous use; I have a spare battery, and have never come close to filling up the 256MB card before I had a chance to transfer the photos to my laptop. (I have a couple of smaller CF cards that I carry, as well, just in case.)

Also, how does the price of the memory for a Sony compare with the price for compact flash cards for the Canons? (I have no clue - I just assume that the proprietary memory for the Sony is higher and is likely to stay higher, since the CF memory cards are used by many different camera manufacturers and are also used with some PDAs and other electronic devices.)

(I have friends who own Sony digital cameras and are very pleased with them, and I liked them when I saw them in stores - but my eyes kept wandering back to the Canon compact 'Elph' cameras- everything else just seemed big and heavy compared to my old S100 camera. But that's MY opinion based on my own experience of having a 35mm camera that served more time as a paperweight than as a picture-taking device )

One other thing - once you decide on which camera you want, use price-search engines to get a good price. You can probably beat the prices in local stores, even if you have the camera express-shipped to you. (I lucked out - when I was shopping, the best price on my S230 included free Fedex shipping.)

I'd also recommend you look at www.techbargains.com for coupons and rebates - these don't usually show up in the price-search engines. I've often seen info about stackable coupons from the Dell sites and was surprised to find that they sold many brands of digital cameras. (I was shopping for the S230 when it first came out on the market, and Dell didn't have it in stock yet. In fact, most of the places I found in the price-search engines didn't have it in stock, either, but I still managed to get it for about 70% of the list price.)

And another 'one more thing' - use the price search engines to price the accessories like a camera bag, extra batteries, etc. The bag for my camera cost me under $10, with the next best price for the same bag being something like $30, and the batteries ranged from under $25 to over $60.
Granny_Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:57 PM   #7

Default Canon S400

If you want pocket sized the S400 is wonderful. I got mine about 3 weeks ago I guess. I love it, it takes great shots. It is 4 MP with a 3X optical zoom. It does not have a ton of manual control, but if you don't need that you can't beat this one. It has the same CCD as the G3.

If you want to see sample pics, I have some posted on photoshare. Just look under the pictures becuase some were taken on an older 3 MB Kodak.

http://www.BDesign.MyPhotos.photoshare.co.nz

Most pictures of are of my daughter but should give you a good idea.

The camera only comes with a 32 MB CF card so I bought two Lexar 256 MB cards. They are on sale with a rebate at Amazon for about $43.00 each. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...U/mjbdesign-20

I hope that helps.

Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote