Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:16 AM   #1

So, I just got my Nikon D50 and I love it!* I do have an issue.* *I am a pretty good photographer in the day and maybe close to dusk, but when I was shooting my son's soccer game at night under the park lights, I just couldn't get a good shot to save my life.* Everything was just a little soft.* I got very frustrated and quit after many attemps.* I was shooting with my 55-200 lens.* Now the light was pretty bright to my eye, but the camera was not happy.I know this is a photographers challenge, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Help please.If you look closely at the photo, you will see that it's pretty soft and he was barely moving.
Attached Images

D50Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:27 AM   #2

What was the problem you were having?

If the autofocus wasn't working you could try switching to manual.

If you can't get a fast enough shutter speed what ISO were you using, you may be able to up the ISO to increase the shutter speed.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.* I stayed up very late last night reserching and reading comments on this site.Yes my ISO was only 200 and I was not getting the shutter speed I wanted.* I may have jumped to quickly at posting this.* I found many solutions reading all the other comments.Thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:12 PM   #4

Yeah, I'd say your ISO setting is the main factor; shooting at 200 is quite low for evening/night shots. Push it up to 800 and you should see improvements.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:06 AM   #5

The lens you were using really isn't a great lens for night shootingthis is the AF-S DX 55-200 mm ED lens: f/4.0-5.6 lens right.

I would first of all set the ISO to Auto

Then put your camera on Manual

Set the shutter to a reasonable speed of around 60 - 125 sec. and Aperture to f/4.0and shoot a few tests shots depending were the camera pushes the ISO to you can increase shutter if possible to a faster speed. The ISO will move on its own and shooting as high as ISO 1600 will still give you great shots.

The Aperture will move if you zoom in by its self from the f/4.0 you have set all the way to f/5.6 if you zoom to 200mm it may be possible to shoot at the f/5.6 end depending on the lighting but if its not working on the 200mm end keep the range on the wider end of 55mm.

My next advice would to think about getting some faster glass the best lens would be the 70-200 F/2.8 AF-S VR lens or a prime like a 85mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.8 these lens will allow you to get great shots in the situation your talking about.

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:24 AM   #6

Awesome info guys!* Thanks for responding so quickly and being so wise.[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif[/img]I will take some shots and post them so you can see the improvement.L
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:56 AM   #7

good advice above, ive also noticed some improvements if i use spot metering and aim for a well lit area
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote