Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:24 PM   #11

this is good if you only have one camera and have no special needs except to shoot from one position- vertical. if you have just a simple camera and don't use it often thats fine. one plate one camera. you might have trouble getting a second plate if you own another camera then your back to screwing it on and off. i own a few cameras that i use. if your going for 1 camera outfit thats just fine.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:34 PM   #12

Default Vertical?

Hi,
My tripod came with two removable plates, so I guess that's better than one. Currently I only have one camera.

What were you saying about Vertical shooting? I'm not sure I understand since my tripod with non-detachable head pans horizontally, vertically and the camera tilts to the side for sideways (portrait) shots. It also cranks up and down. As far as I know the center post is not reversable.

Could you explain more what you mean by "If you have no special needs except to shoot from one position- vertical. "

Thanks, still new at all this.
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:45 PM   #13

reference this image for non vertical shooting

http://www.pbase.com/image/15579411

http://www.pbase.com/image/15579750
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:53 PM   #14

Default aaah so I see!

Hey sjms,
Thanks for the photo, I didn't know tripods could do that. Now I understand vertical/non-vertical. Excellent example. Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:57 PM   #15

we've been training them in the circus these days. check out the next image.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:09 PM   #16

Default Way out of my league

Thanks for taking those demonstration shots. I noticed they are dated today. Looks like nice equipment. I looked at your gallery shots at pbase. Very cool! I'm logging off now, but will go back and look when less rushed.

-Matt
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:11 PM   #17

Fantasia, Bambi, Winnie the Pooh? Someone's got a little one running around!

BTW, thanks for those tripod images. I was thinking of buying one soon and had no idea that that kind of setup was possible.

What does one like that go for these days?

Also, I'm surprised your back wasn't aching from the hike through the Cascades. Not so much by the tripod weight, but because the F5 is a pretty hefty brick in its own right.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:38 PM   #18

hey! that fantasia book is mine.
i just pick up miyazaki's spirited away yesterday. cool movie. i loved my neighbor Totoro

i do have a 7yr old daughter. she has a Way Cool Rating of 20 out of a scale of 1-10

carrying the stuff around is worth every shot that i can get. all you gotta do is either not carry food or learn to minmize the rest of your gear. i opted to minimize my other gear. i also used my OM gear alot. in cold, dry,and high places. static builds up on the film easy and autowinders zip the film through and lightning bolts show up on film. avg wgt on a 3 day was 50lbs with cameras and stuff, quite a bit more fore a week.

pricing on the legs will vary with what there made of. and how many sections on the legs. usually 3 or 4 sections. i prefer 3 for leg stiffness. less compact though.
the bogen 3021pro legs in the picture are about $130 w/o head. this is meant for larger camera/lens setups. there is a model lighter wgt model 3001pro $109 w/o head. and then there is the 3443 carbon at $419 light stiff and a wonder to behold.

heads are another discussion that could go on for days.

still trying to figure out how to mount a generator to charge my batteries on a EOS-1Ds for week long trips. i do more seakayaking these days.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:44 PM   #19

What does OR stand for?

Veering way off-topic now...

For one of the best Miyazaki/Ghibli movies ever, see Grave of the Fireflies. Very powerful, not at all like Spirited Away, and only somewhat like Totoro. Not suitable for children.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:54 PM   #20

i started out 30 years ago using olympus OM system equipment . it all still works today. sending my OM3 out for repair it finally jammed up. i own a OM 1, 3. 4t bodies and a few lenses. there right out of the photo history books. thes days the forest and mountains still don't have electrical sockets. the OM 1 and 3 are full manual film cameras. i even have a handheld meter.

i have seen that. definately not a childs story.