Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 15, 2003, 9:53 AM   #1

Default BUYING A TRIPOD-NEED TO KNOW

Hi
I would like to buy a tripod for my SONY F505V camera. What should I look for??
what is 3-way and 2-say pan head??
height is important??
brands Optex, Slik, Velbon , Sony, Ambico,??
which go for?
thanks
beviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:34 AM   #2

Make sure you get a quick-release system, a little plate that stays attached to your camera and attached to the head with the flip of a lever. Without that you will be tempted to leave the camera attached to the tripod when you carry it and bash it into a tree/wall/rock/...

The style of head is a matter of personal preference, but a two-way pan head is really meant for video. The normal choice for a still camera is between a three way or ball head.

Don't cheap out - a good tripod will outlast several cameras. A cheap one will gather dust in the back of your closet.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 1:47 PM   #3

reference the tripod forum
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Make sure you get a quick-release system, a little plate that stays attached to your camera and attached to the head with the flip of a lever. Without that you will be tempted to leave the camera attached to the tripod when you carry it and bash it into a tree/wall/rock/...

The style of head is a matter of personal preference, but a two-way pan head is really meant for video. The normal choice for a still camera is between a three way or ball head.

Don't cheap out - a good tripod will outlast several cameras. A cheap one will gather dust in the back of your closet.
this has been some of the most sound advice i have ever heard........i certainley like your advice Bill.........
it really makes me cringe when i see someone getting all excited over a 20 dollar tripod at Wal-Mart.
and i didn't mean that in a snob sort of way.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:39 PM   #5

Default How Much $

For you pros out there, What is an approximate price range for a decent Tripod. (I'm not talking carbon fiber).
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 5:09 PM   #6

between $70-$400 depending on what type of head and QR system you decide to use . legs and heads are seperate in the the better tripod end allowing you to make the choice. yes this is without going to carbon legs. with carbon that would go up through $1K without a problem.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 5:20 PM   #7

Tilt heads seem to be both left and right hand. Make sure your cam controls are still easy to get at if you want to go vertical and nothing fouls up.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 5:24 PM   #8

why spend X amount of /$ on something which can cost around 20-30

i got one for 20 and it has provided me with stable shots in snow/used it for filming a documentary for a multimedia project/etc

i'm sure theres a reason for this amount of money being spent on a few pieces of aluminium
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 7:22 PM   #9

for some there will always be the cheap for others there are the instruments of imaging. when you shoot as mugh as i have you learn real quick about quality and usabliity. i backpacked though the cascades, the white mountains, the rockies, the sierras and the Japan alps using my gitzo carbon and a F5 with lenses and to this day it is as as tight and sturdy as the day i bought it. beat up but works like new. also my back thanks me for it too weighing in less then 5 lbs with a ball head small sized too. it also allow s me to go all the way down till the center is less than an inch off the ground. for that macro work along the way. now that i've gotten into macro more my manfrotto has lateral capabilities only 2-3 other tripds have. allows me to shoot on some obscure positions such as the flight decks of aircraft where i cannot remove seats and such. hand held shots really dont work in quite a few situations.

unless you have experienced using a good set of legs/head you won't appreciate how much dexterity they can give you then also you'll notice at higher mag your shots might also be in focus. catch a great sunset and shoot about 15-20 images. choose which one you want because there is a better than 98% chance they'll all be in focus. the human body moves all the time. tremble and tremors being that we are a living organism. i well designed/built tripod will be rock steady in just about any position it was design to go and then even with coaxing a few that wasn't design for.

no a good set of legs ain't just 3 sticks of aluminum or carbon.

i've shot a "few" films myself. and i still have my Sachtler tripod from the "old" days. will never give it up. i loved shooting with my aaton LTR and my cooke 9-50. outstanding setup.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:02 PM   #10

Default What about low to mid range?

I bought a seemingly decent tripod for $50 from Ritz Cameras. It has a bubbel level on the legs and another level on the head. The head has a removable plate that screws to the camera with a lever. There is a crank for raising and lowering the camera.

Is this type ok for general photography for those of us not interested in spending the big bucks?
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote