Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:34 AM   #1

Sorry guys, newbie here. Kindly bear with me.

Im using a Fuji f410, with a fuji 512mb xd card. I normally transfer photos to my computervia the provided usb transfer cable.

Yesterday I had it transfered via an internal card reader in a friend's computer, and while copying, it had an 'transfer error', and i cant 'safely remove' the XD card.

So i logged off, and remove the card. Turned out that around 200 plus pictures were gone, (around 100mb).

when I deleted all pictures in my fuji cam, i realised the max capacity has reduced by the same 100mb of memory. I doubled checked, and the XD card is empty, just less max capacity.

I tried to use some photo recovery software to recover that 200 plus photos, and i did, but not all, and some were damaged.

I noted this program from this forum 'digital image recovery' which serves the same purpose, is it the best free recovery program? ie will i recover my pictures without damaging them?

2nd question.

having mentioned that the total amount is reduced by 100mb, i wanted to format my memory card.

Does it help?

But im kinda afraid of screwing up, cos im not sure how and where to format using my fuji f410.

Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.

Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2

hello there lucifer,

yes, try a low format of yours xd card, that will help to remove all date in it.

if you had already tried a photo recovery program, and some images where damage, don´t think you´ll get them all.

good luck!!,
hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Administrator

The images on the card may be damaged already. So, nothing may get them all back (they may have been partially overwritten before you noticed a problem).

It's not uncommon to see some corrupted images if the FAT was damaged while you were taking photos.

If you have a card reader, I'd use it instead of a USB connection to the camera, just in case part of the problem is with your connection.

Try Digital Image Rocovery. But, even if the thumbnails look OK, that doesn't mean the full size images are not corrupted. You'll have to check them to see.

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Look under "My Computer" and make note ofthe drive letter for the reader (or camera if connected via USB). Then,run the Digital Image Recovery Program.

You then select English as the languge (when it starts it will ask), andselectthe source drive letter your want it to read from (the drive letter for your card).

You then browse for a folder for it to copy recovered images to on your hard disk drive and press the start button (just leave everything else at the defaults).

Here is another product you can try:

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm

Here is a well known product to recover images if the others can't get them back (not free, but they have a demo version you can try to see if it works).

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

After you get the images back (verifying them to make sure they can load). Format the card with the camera's menus, not via a PC.

When in Play mode, press the menu button and you should see an Erase option come up with a Format choice under it to format the card (you'll see choices to Erase the Frame, All Frames or Format. Use Format.

If for some reason the card will not format via the camera's menus (the preferred method), use a card reader and a PC. But, make *sure* to select FAT as the file system type from the drop down list you'll get. Otherwise, Windows will use a 32 bit FAT by default, which is not compatible with your camera. Then, reformat the card using the camera's menus before using it again.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:21 PM   #4

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

I just tried Digital Image Recovery to recover my pictures, indeed, it worked better than my previous program. Restored more pictures, that is.

However, some pictures are still corrupted. Is that the best I can do? Or should i just other programs again?

Regarding the formatting, as JimC instructed, i tried to format, but i cant find any format selection.

Under the erase menu, all i can see is this

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_..._menu_anim.gif

(the first menu, erase -- all frames -- frame -- back)

No format button.

And like i mention earlier, around 100mb the space are missing. Is formatting the way to go?

Kindly advise

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:43 PM   #5

nice job, try the card options, there you must have a format selection.

:-)
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:28 PM   #6

So sorry, but i just cant find the formatting option.

The available selections are not much, couldnt have missed it.

Please advise

Thanks

Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:12 PM   #7

Erase - Frame(presently viewed), All Frames, Format(card).

Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:32 PM   #8

So sorry again

Oh man ive been toggling it but still havent found it

During play, i pressed the menu button, and this is what i get.

<<see attach picture>>

Under the 'erase'orange window, first is

'ALL FRAMES'

and 'FRAME'

and 'BACK'

May i ask where is the format option?

Thank for the patience ya

Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:18 PM   #9
Administrator

I noticed that, too (looking at the .gif file in our review). I didn't see the format option that is supposed to be there. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was missed during the review.

My advise would be to get a card reader (usually under $20). Then, format the card via a PC.

When running Windows (XP), right click on the drive when you're looking at "My Computer" and select the Format menu option.

The next screen will have a drop down list that includes a choice of File System. Select FAT as the file system type and format the card

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:41 AM   #10

May i ask whether is it feasible to format via windows with my cam connected to the comp with the usb transfer cable? (ie format the removable disk)?

My friend's comp has a build-in card reader. But its the same card reader that caused this error in the first place (please refer to above). Its still ok to format using that card reader?

If im not wrong somewhere in this forum i read that its not advisable to format the mem card via windows, and not cam. That right?

Kindly advise.

Thanks