Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1

HI....I HAVE FOOLED AROUND ENOUGH ON MY S2 IS THAT NOW EVERYTHING PICTURE I TAKE IS OVER EXPOSED...A SKY NOW IS BLINDING WHITE AND I CANNOT FIGURE WHAT I DID WRONG. ANY SUGGESTIONS TO CORRECT? IS THERE A WAY TO PUT THIS CAMERA BACK TO ORIGINAL DEFAULT SETTINGS? I SEE NOTHING IN THE BOOK THAT INDICATES THERE IS!!!
barry becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Barry:

Welcome to the forums.

Chances are, it's something simple. With some Canon models, you can press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds and you'll be asked if you want to reset it to defaults. I don't know if this applies to the S2 IS or not.

If not, you probably have Exposure Compensation set to a +EV setting causing the overexposure. Your metering mode could also be the culprit.

By the way, in a high dynamic range scene (lots of difference between brighter and darker areas), it's not uncommon to see a blown out (white) sky in order to properly expose the rest of a scene. You've got a limited range of bright to dark a camera is capable of capturing. So, sometimes you need to make choices on what is more important to expose correctly.

If you can't figure it out, post a sample here that includes the EXIF (a header in the image file that contains camera settings used).

Around 640x480 is usually a good size for forum posts. If you don't have an image editor to easily downsize images, download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (it's free).

After opening a problem image, go to Image, Resize/Resample and make it around 640x480, save it under a new filename (so you don't overwrite your original),and post a copy of it here. By default irfanview will retain the camera settings used in the EXIF (unless you uncheck that box).

Then, members can better understand what you are referring to and look for a setting that could be causing the issue.

To include your downsized image in a post, use the Browse button and select the image from your hard disk. You'll see this Browse button under the entry screen when you're typing in the entry box for a new post (not visible until entering a new post). Here is a thread discussing posting of images:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=40634&forum_id=2

Note that it's considered SHOUTING to use all CAPS on a forum. So, you may want to turn off your CAPS lock.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:51 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Barry:

Chances are, it's something simple. With some Canon models, you can press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds and you'll be asked if you want to reset it to defaults. I don't know if this applies to the S2 IS or not.
Barry,

JimC's re-setting instructions apply to the S2 IS (page 81 of the user guide)
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:01 AM   #4

you might have the cam in:

Aperture priority mode with apereture set to 2.8

Shutter prioirity with shutter set to slow shutter speed

Manual mode with a combination of wide ap and slow shutter

Or exposure compensation set to +2ev

possibly metering mode set to spot

Or a combination of

But surely in the setup menu option there is a reset option or restore defaults option

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:19 AM   #5

I recently used a canon camera, and the exposure of the video didnt change so everything went white.
photoshane is offline   Reply With Quote