Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:58 AM   #1

Default Resources

This week I finally made up my mind and purchased my first digital camera. I chose the Pentax Optio S because of its portability. Next year, if I really get into this, I may look into buying a camera with more override settings. Meanwhile, my current challenge is to learn how to use what I have and this is where I would appreciate advice.
The instruction book with the camera is helpful in teaching the mechanical use of the settings but not how to take a good picture. For example I would not know if I should use compensation or something else, and what to do with the histogram display to improve a shot. What resources (books, sites) would you recommend to learn about digital photography?
Secondly, the program that comes with the camera is ACDsee v.3.1 I am having trouble sending pictures by e-mail. Before I start messing around with this program could someone tell me the pitfalls that I may encounter with it and if something else would be better to use. By the way, which platform do you use to e-mail pics?
Thank you for helping
Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2003, 3:41 PM   #2

Quote:
The instruction book with the camera is helpful in teaching the mechanical use of the settings but not how to take a good picture.
What is all boils down to, is getting out there and taking pictures.
Play with it, look at your pictures, figure out what you did to make the pics you like work, and try to do it again. Most cameras keep track of the settings (known as Metadata) that were used to take a certain pic. You can use this to get an idea for what you could use to get similar results in the same situation.

Quote:
Secondly, the program that comes with the camera is ACDsee v.3.1 I am having trouble sending pictures by e-mail.
I have used Acdsee for a couple of years now. Its a good program, but its strong point is keeping track of your photos, not really editing them. Acdsee's site also has some info on taking pics.

as for emailing photos, it would help if we knew what email program your using for more specific help. In general, you just need to attach it to an email as an attachment.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 4:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Secondly, the program that comes with the camera is ACDsee v.3.1 I am having trouble sending pictures by e-mail.
Macleod76 has given good advice about the EXIF data which gets saved with each shot. BUT I'm pretty certain the version of ACDSee you have (below 4) will remove the data from any picture you edit and save with it. ACDsee is a very good viewer, newer versions include an editor, Irfanview is free.

To resize with ACdsee for emailing , select tools/resize set 800pixels wide, 600pixels high, preserve aspect ratio. Copies of your files should have shrunk a lot in size. If you email to v. slow modems, or a lot of pics, re-size to 640 wide 480 high

Always save each cam original unaltered and the metadata will stay with it. EDIT AND RESIZE ON COPIES . Later on, you might want to think about upgrading or trying other editors which do not remove the info your camera saved with the shot - aperture/shutter/exposure/actual date, time and much more.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:19 PM   #4

Thank you.
Your advice helps me get started and enjoying taking the pictures a little sooner. Also walking me through what it takes to send pics is helpful. I will try to figure out metamedia today. I have a Hotmail account and also use Outlook Express Hotmail. I will look into downloading the Acdsee v.5. and Irfanview.

You guys are my only help!

I really appreciate you taking time to guide me.

Claire
Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote