Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 1, 2006, 2:31 AM   #1

Do digital SLRs have a mode in which the mirror is locked up and framing of a shot can be done via an LCD?

Or must framing of shots always be done through the optical viewfinder, and the LCD is only available to replay what you've already taken?

I have a Nikon 995 and I'm considering upgrading to a D-SLR, but if I have to frame all shots through the viewfinder my enthusiasm dims considerably.

Thanks for any advice.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 3:15 AM   #2

The real short answer is no, as the vast majority of SLR's do not allow LCD framing.

However, the new Olypmus (E-330, I think) uses a second sensor in the camera to provide a live LCD image. This has received mixed reviews. The other option is the Fuji S3 which has a mirror up, LCD preview mode. But it lasts only 30 seconds (I think) and I believe you cannot actually take a photo in this mode.

If you are looking to move up to better image quality than what you have, you might want to give the Sony R1 a look. Although it does not have interchangeable lenses, it does use a dSLR sized sensor and gives live LCD and EVF viewing.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 3:24 AM   #3

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
The real short answer is no, as the vast majority of SLR's do not allow LCD framing.

However, the new Olypmus (E-330, I think) uses a second sensor in the camera to provide a live LCD image. This has received mixed reviews. The other option is the Fuji S3 which has a mirror up, LCD preview mode. But it lasts only 30 seconds (I think) and I believe you cannot actually take a photo in this mode.

If you are looking to move up to better image quality than what you have, you might want to give the Sony R1 a look. Although it does not have interchangeable lenses, it does use a dSLR sized sensor and gives live LCD and EVF viewing.
The E-330 has two modes, A and B.
"Mode A" indeed uses a second, smaller CCD sensor that provides 92% coverage in the LCD or viewfinder together with automatic focus. "Mode B" is considered a "macro mode" (tripod use is assumed), and its image cannot be viewed through the viewfinder. Instead, it provides 100% coverage straight from the taking sensor (Live-MOS) to the LCD panel. It cannot use auto focus, but provides very good focusing ability via a 10x movable focusing square onscreen.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:27 PM   #4

howards wrote:
Quote:
but if I have to frame all shots through the viewfinder my enthusiasm dims considerably.

Why??

looking through the view finder lets u see better that your in focus and is visible in all light conditions

i gotta e300 and dont think id be willing to pay an extra £300 or $500 to get a live preview

the e330 in england is about £750 thats gotta be about $1100 to $1200
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:39 PM   #5
Administrator

Another alternative (and I have no experience with their products):

http://www.zigview.co.uk/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:06 PM   #6

JimC

thats a very cool item..........just have to think about wether i actualy need one LOL.

gonna bookmark the page just incase, price is high but not stupidly high

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:23 PM   #7

Reanimator asks why I don't want to use a viewfinder to frame data.

99.9% of my photography is macro photography. My camera is on a camera stand where it comes to about belly height. Framing through the viewfinder would be endless backbreaking bending over to look through the viewfinder. I can stand straight upright and frame using the LCD.

Viewability of the LCD in ambient light is not an issue - I control the lighting in the room.

The Zigview solution looks neat, but kind of expensive.

howards is offline   Reply With Quote